1947 UU frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 UU frames

There were 2 styles of frames running in the later stage of 1947. Both look identical except for some of the markings.
    One of the frames has a UU marking in the big triangular webbing in the right side of the neck and the other style does not.
    The seat post cluster of the UU frame also has this UU on the top left side of it with the XE-1 and Hallmark on top.
    The other style of frame has the Hallmark and part number underneath.
    These frames are the frame after the Bullneck frame and just before the Panhead Wishbone frame.
    Does anyone know what the UU designates "eg sepperate foundry "although they still have DIF foundry mark", or special construction etc"
    I also have a brake cross over shaft with this UU stamped into one of the flats that locates the brake shaft lever.
    Does anyone have any info on this?

I havent given up on the previous 41 Bent frame and will research it at Davenport swap.

Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

This is the UU frame neck. Appologies for the low quality. It is a picture of a picture. I have re-penned the original markings for clarity. Double click on the picture to enlarge it.
    Attached Files
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

This is the other late style 1947 neck. No UU in the gusset
      Attached Files
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi Chris.
        The lettering I am discussing is raised lettering, and is made during the forge process. The lettering stands up off the metal like the part numbers.
        I have seen stamping like you have suggested.
        I have been told that when a frame went back to the factory for issues, it was stamped on the right top side of the seat post cluster to identify it as a repair.
        I have a seatpost cluster from a wrecked 1940 frame and it is stamped 9715.
        I don't know if this number signifies a consecutive number of frame repairs or perhaps a code of repair.

All the UU lettering is raised on the frame components.

Regards Steve
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, I have seen two frames over the years that I believe to have been factory repaired. Both had brazed repairs to cracked or broken tubes. One had a section apparently spliced into the backbone in front of the seatpost cluster. this frame had a five or six digit long number stamped in the tubing, on top, just ahead of the repair before the tank/ seat T mount. The other had a similar repair to the one front downtube, but I could find no markings on it. Both were pre-WWII frames. This was years ago well before I started to photograph damn near everything. Of course back then I would've had to buy film and that would have cost a fortune, digital cameras have made keeping track of what I see so much easier.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Brian.
            The factory stamped the top left side of the seat post cluster to denote a frame repair. See attached picture. You may have to double click on the picture to enlarge it.

Has any one got any knowledge on the 1947 UU frame or what the UU denoted?

Regards Steve
            Attached Files
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve,
              My late 47 is a UU frame. It ia also factory straightened and has the code number and I also have the brass tag that was attached to it. It came out of an old dealers stock in the '70s. If I can provide any other info let me know.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

my trhee cents worth of UU frames

I hate to sound pigish but I have two(2) of these UU frames, both with differences in stampings. One(1) frame is actively full of motorcycle and some of the marks may be there but are hard for this old fart to see. This one has XE-35 over 12 on the left side of the speedometer/neck forging. It also appears to have a large N in the flat web surface of the left side of this forging. I can not verify UU markings on seat post forging as the paint is applied tooooo thick. The other frame is stripped for restoration and has the following frame markings:XE-35 over 12 on the neck forging, foundry hall mark on same side of forging, UU on the flat side of the neck forging between the cups on the left side of the neck, UU on the top left side of the seat post forging, and a large 6 on the right side of the foundry hallmark on the motor mount forging. Both of these frames are the post bull neck versions and are easily mistaken for '41-'46 frames but the distance from the dampener tab to the neck cup is way more. I have a question(?)...if a customer ordered a replacement frame for an inline model...would the factory send one of these...or did the factory continue to produce both style frames for dealer replacement?? If I have confused anyone, my job is complete!

Comment

Robbie. Is the UU on the neck on the left or right side.
                  Also, is the part number and foundry mark on the top or bottom face of the seatpost cluster.
                  Does it also have the UU on the seat post cluster?

Motorpickle.
                  On your second frame description you say the UU is on the left side of the neck. Did you mean right side or are we now seeing three types of frame components running at the same time?.

Also do any of the frames have a big foundry mark in the small area "this will be hard to explain" the area on the left side of the neck just behind the tank mount.
                  Regards Steve
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

You can see the Hallmark just in front of the speedo hole. Double click on the image to enlarge.
                    Regards Steve
                    Attached Files
                    Steve Little
                    Australia.
                    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve,
                      The UU is on the right side of the neck. There is also a UU mark on the left side of the seat post as well as a casting mark under the left side. I could not read all of it but it began XE. It also has the factory repair number on the right top of the seat post casting.
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.

Motorpickle did you mean the UU was on the right side of the neck like my first picture on the first page? or is yours on the left side?

Regards Steve
                        Steve Little
                        Australia.
                        AMCA member 1950

Comment

UU frame update

My UU frame has two sets of UUs that I have found(so far). One set is on the left upper pocket in the webbing of the seat tube forging. The other is on the neck forging itself, midway between the cups, on the left if you were sitting on the seat. It is not in the large flat webbed area. The UUs themselves are about 5/16' tall, raised(not stamped), and do not have serifs. They are NOT anything like the XE forging numbers anywhere else on the frame.
                          I also have a '41-45 frame I am working on that has the factory re-work stamping in the right side of the seat tube forging. It is a four digit number,a dash, and a 3. All numbers are motor VIN style with serifs and the dash is not a turned number 1, it is a dash. It would be impossible to determine what work was preformed, except it is not a bent neck update.
                          Still looking for info:did the factory continue making inline and offset style replacement frames after 1947 or just the hybrid UU frame???????
                          Anybody have a 45 solo frame rear section they want to part with? I need everything from the seat tube rearward.

Comment

Hi Motorpickle.
                            Is it possible for you to take a digital picture of this left side UU.

If I understand your earlier post, this is the complete bike. Do you have the history of this bike?

If the bike has a reliable history, can you post the VIN "Minus the last number for security." eg 47 FL1475* or if posting the number on the forum makes you uncumfortable, you can Personal message me.

Do you also have a history and VIN for the other frame that is stripped for restoration.

Your question,... Still looking for info:did the factory continue making inline and offset style replacement frames after 1947 or just the hybrid UU frame???????

Inline and Offset are Springer terms.

I dont have any info on what the factory did for replacement frames after production runs.
                            Regards Steve
                            Steve Little
                            Australia.
                            AMCA member 1950

Comment

You will also find that these late 1947 frames have small font on the rear engine mount like the Panhead frames.
                              All Knuckle frames 1937 through 1947 "except these that we are discussing" have 5/16 font.
                              These later 1947 frames have 1/8" font on the rear engine mount.
                              Regards Steve
                              Steve Little
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                              X