fix and ride or restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix and ride or restore

Hi to all. I am a new club member and new on this forum. I recently acquired a nice original 1966 Bonneville. It is very complete and quite original, but a bit tired looking. Some folks say that "it's only original once" and that I should just fix what needs fixing and ride it. I, however would like it to look a bit nicer. I recently saw a TR6 that had various things fixed on it, but was otherwise left alone. I thought the poor thing looked pitiful! Here is a link to some pics of my own bike. These are the shots from eBay where I bought it. I will have more current pics posted soon. : http://picasaweb.google.com/davidrei...eat=directlink I would like to hear from other Triumph owners/ restorers. Thank you

Jeez, that was my first bike!!

I don't see what looks so 'tired', it looks damn good to my eyes. It's true that it will only be original once, and for as long as you can leave it, hopefully. Certain things can be replaced, and you can save the originals for later in life. But for sure don't mess with the paint or do anything that can't be undone. That's just my opinion. It would be wise, however, for you to vow to yourself to do nothing at all until you've educated yourself somewhat--- so you won't kick yourself in the ass later on, like most of us here have done!

Comment

original could only be original once in its lifetime. Clean it up and be proud to ride it. JMHO
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
        Jeez, that was my first bike!!

I don't see what looks so 'tired', it looks damn good to my eyes. It's true that it will only be original once, and for as long as you can leave it, hopefully. Certain things can be replaced, and you can save the originals for later in life. But for sure don't mess with the paint or do anything that can't be undone. That's just my opinion. It would be wise, however, for you to vow to yourself to do nothing at all until you've educated yourself somewhat--- so you won't kick yourself in the ass later on, like most of us here have done!
        Ditto to Rooster's reply ,that bike you have is in fantastic shape aside from the oil leak fix that and any other issues then ride it AND enjoy it! having owned a 68 I am too fimilar with oil leaks and the electrical god Lucas
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanx for the replies

The frame has some surface rust. The nuts & bolts also have surface rust and the paint is looking sad to me. I will soon have some much better pics to post. Also what little chrome is on the bike is pitted. Presently the right side muffler is broken inside and is causing a blockage. There is no way I can get it to run right faster than an idle like this. If I don't restore, I want things to at least look somewhat congruent. A shiny new exhaust system juxtaposed with my scratches and rust is a greater eye sore to me than just having it all be old. Thanx again for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by David R. View Post
            The frame has some surface rust. The nuts & bolts also have surface rust and the paint is looking sad to me. I will soon have some much better pics to post. Also what little chrome is on the bike is pitted. Presently the right side muffler is broken inside and is causing a blockage. There is no way I can get it to run right faster than an idle like this. If I don't restore, I want things to at least look somewhat congruent. A shiny new exhaust system juxtaposed with my scratches and rust is a greater eye sore to me than just having it all be old. Thanx again for the input.
            A good used muffler would fit in nicely.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Perhaps you could find a second set of sheet metal that you could paint and set the original set aside for the future. You could do the same with much of the bolt on stuff and preserve the originals.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Interesting idea

Hi Exeric, thank you for the suggestion. Seems like I would still need to paint the frame and re-plate the bolts etc. I have sent emails to a couple of shops in my area enquiring about an old muffler in useable shape as was previously suggested.

Comment

Hey David,
                  Does that NM plate on it represent you or the seller. Just curious, I am in NM.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

NM tag is previous owner's

Hi Rub, the tag in the pics is the previous owner's tag. I bought the bike from the widow of the original owner. She is a rider herself and has kept the bike registered and has ridden it (a little) over the years. The bike came with the original bill of sale, owner's manual and tool kit. I live in Richmond, VA

Comment

more detailed pics

Here is a link to some more detailed pics of the current condition of my Bonneville. http://picasaweb.google.com/davidrei...eat=directlink
                      I love that the bike is complete and pretty much unaltered, but I do feel that things need a bit of freshening.

Comment

If it were mine.....I may replace a few damaged parts, like the fork boots, but I would replace them with used, good condition, parts. The rest I would leave as is. Paps

Comment

Thanx for the input, but I see so much that needs to be done. I want to ride this bike.(and I tend to ride a lot when I can) I can tell by looking at it and by past experience that I'm in for a lot of roadside "engineering" if I don't attend to some issues. Further, the rust isn't going to go away on it's own. I can't believe that cleaning up and repainting a rusty frame isn't a good idea. I'm surprised that others consider it to be in such "good" condition.

Comment

Like I suggested, you'd be wise to do nothing for awhile until you get a better idea of what you really have there. But it's your bike, so really I guess you'll do what you think is right. Good luck with it.

Comment

Thanx Rooster. Right now is the education and get acquainted stage. I don't have a lot of time or money to throw at it, which is probably a good thing. It's a path of discovery for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X