Top motor mount bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top motor mount bracket

I bought a kit with cad plated hardware (nuts and bolts) for the top motor mount bracket. The HD parts manual loosely shows the assembly showing all the washers "outside" frame and bracket.

There is, witht the motor fastened down with the bottom bolts, a small gap between the motor mount top bracket and the slot in the frame for the bolt. I also notice the kit (and parts manual) has some very THIN washers in it. is the intent to use washers and shims in between the motor mount bracket and frame so you are not "pulling" the top of the motor into the frame, stessing the whole thing?

otherwise, why are the shim washers there?... and why does the frame have a slot there instead of just a bolt hole?

Thanks!
    OldHog
    Steve

Originally posted by OldHog66 View Post
    I ..... is the intent to use washers and shims in between the motor mount bracket and frame so you are not "pulling" the top of the motor into the frame, stessing the whole thing?
    otherwise, why are the shim washers there?... and why does the frame have a slot there instead of just a bolt hole?

Thanks!
    OldHog
    Steve
    Yes, that's the intent. There's alway enough slop in the holes in the motor mount bracket and the frame to properly add shims to make up the difference. Shims are normal. Leave the motor mount bracket bolted loosely to the motor while fitting the appropriate washers as shims between the frame and the bracket, then snug the bracket to the motor, then the bracket to the frame. That way there is no 'built in' stress.....

The motor mount tab on the frame has changed a little over the years, but they allow for some variation as to how the motors fit. Stroker motors are sometimes taller, etc etc...

Comment

as always Rooster, you're the best!

Comment

Working...
      X