CLICK/CLACK sound in fork tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLICK/CLACK sound in fork tube

I could use a few clues before I dig into this. 1968 FL. I hear a sizable but variable clunk sometimes when I hit a sharp bump. I think I can duplicate the sound in the shop by pushing up all the way on the fork and then pulling down sharply. I can hear and feel a click/clunk sound coming from the right side tube. Ideas? Normal? The left side is quiet. The steering stem nut is tight, by the way. I am only assuming there's correct level of oil in there at this point.

Thanks
    Steve Dawdy

Originally posted by scd View Post
    .... I am only assuming there's correct level of oil in there at this point.
    Thanks
    That's your first clue.....
    First thing I would do is remove the drain plugs and see what comes out. I'm betting the right tube is dry. Installing the proper amount of fresh fork oil most likely will remedy the 'clunking', but a total tear-down of the fork tubes is not at all difficult, and then you'd know for sure what you have.

Comment

I was hoping it could be oil. I'll check that first. Question: Can I pump it up in there or do I have to do the drain it in approach?
      Steve Dawdy

Comment

I've know there's a method to inject the oil back up in through the drain hole, but it's really not a hard task to do it like the manual describes. It's really very simple. Check your manual, and follow the instructions. First thing is to remove the drain plug and see what comes out; that will tell you a lot.

Comment

Thanks Rooster. Got the job done, new oil did the trick. It wasn't dry but old. Did it by the manual no problem. Steve
          Steve Dawdy

Comment

Funny how new oil will solve that old 'clunking' noise in a telescopic fork...!

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              Funny how new oil will solve that old 'clunking' noise in a telescopic fork...!
              Installing new progressivly wound springs don't hurt either.

Comment

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. I seem to remember an "upgrade kit" for hydra-glide forks that used the newer style dampers with rebound springs. Does anybody know about such a modification?

Comment

Working...
                X