Ultra Sonic Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra Sonic Cleaner

Has anyone ever used one to clean up an old Linkert? Can't do any harm could it?
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Worth a try. We used to clean Rapidograph pen tips that had dried out with ink in them. These were probably (stainless) steel but I never saw any damage. Depends on the liquid you put in there; don't let the liquid get really hot. ...bill
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

My itty bitty one kinda works , with pre-prep, and after-prep, etc.

I just hate standing there stareing at it for so long...

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

hey cotton I know how you feel

stared about 2 hours with it going and opened to take item out and realized it was on the other side of the workbench I never put it in. old age sucks except for bikes
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

While staring at it, does one get to sleep if they so choose? LOL
          Say, Any suggestions on the type of medium to use? The unit I’m going to use is 14”x8” and 10” deep so I shouldn’t need much. Maybe a gallon at most.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Steve!

I take it you are talking about a vibratory pellet bucket and not just a ultrasonic soup kettle like mine.

Got no clue if it works on the small parts, as I can't risk hurting Miss Patina.

Pellets certainly are going to have a hard time accessing the internals of the body casting, but you can sure give the bowl hell!

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi Cotton, Yes I am referring to a ultra sonic soup kettle. I just received this carb and want to give it a good internal cleansing without poking sharp objects where they don’t belong. See, I have learned a few thing from you over the years Cotton. Do you think it will be worth the effort? Or am I chasing my tail again?

I also have a pellet vibrating cleaner, but as you stated it’s only good to shine something up and not very good at cleaning. Any suggestions for what flavor soup to use? Non flammable of course.
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

I use a little one for my carbs with the Costco House Brand of Simple Green. Would be interested to know what other guys are using as a cleaner in theirs. It's certainly more effective than a simple soak, but I was a little disappointed in the results the first time out. I experimented first with a Tillotson, and after about ten cycles it looks good.

Comment

micromark.com pt# 81871 is a qt. bottle makes 8 gallons stay away from ammonia it will eat brass and bronze
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

The members of 70th Basic Law Enforcement class at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, tired of cleanning the lead fouling caused by the wad cutter ammo used in their service revolvers, purchased an Ultra Sonic cleaner as a gift for the academy. Shooting 300 rounds a day that stuff tends to builds up.

The 1st piece into the soup was a nice, nickle plated Colt, a personal piece and the pride of one of the deputies. I don't know what flavor soup was used, it came with the Ultra Sonic and the instructions were followed. There wasn't much nickle left on it when it came out.

It worked like a champ on the Blued steel revolvers.
                    William McClean
                    AMCA # 60

Comment

I'd sure like to know what that was. Nickle is next to impossible to get off steel with the methods I've been using.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by William McClean View Post
                        ... The 1st piece into the soup was a nice, nickle plated Colt, a personal piece and the pride of one of the deputies. I don't know what flavor soup was used, it came with the Ultra Sonic and the instructions were followed. There wasn't much nickle left on it when it came out.

It worked like a champ on the Blued steel revolvers.
                        Galvanic action; the electromotive series, like they tried to teach us in chemistry. If you put two different metals into a solution that is slightly conductive, it tells you which will corrode off into solution.
                        I did this accidentally with a piece of chrome plated brass that had a nick in the chrome. The brass went into solution causing murkyness, like you see in old anti-freeze. ...bill
                        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Interesting discussion. I haven’t put the carb in the soup yet. I want to be certain not to do it any harm so I’m waiting for some more info. I don’t want to do something that’s irreversible. I’ve done that to many times in the past by being impatient.
                          ------------
                          Steve
                          AMCA #7300

Comment

My guess would be to try something for an hour, and see how it looks. Of course, you can't see inside. Dissimilar metals will plate out into solution, and I couldn't tell the difference between dirt and dissolved brass. Even carb cleaner warns not to leave parts in there too long. ...bill
                            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Cleaning out all the small passages is what I hope to achieve. I'm not concerned at all about the cosmetics. The guy i got it from told me it has not seen any fuel thru it in over sixteen years he's owned it so i'd like to be reasonably sure that all the tiny holes are clear. I need to do a test to see if simple green will remove fuel varnish? I'm still looking for other parts for this assembly so time is once again on my side for getting this done.
                              ------------
                              Steve
                              AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                              X