Problem with Piston Pin Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Piston Pin Keepers

I need a little advice here- I'm rebuilding a 41EL. My pistons came without pin keepers. I bought a bunch of piston pin keepers 22581-32 from Dixie. These are the L cross section type. I have the proper tool 12052-32 to install them. But these keepers shatter or break every time I try to install them. I can't even slide them down the tool. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    I guess I'll try another vendor - the ones I have are very stiff and brittle. Can anyone recomend a reliable source?
    I measure the pin OD at ~0.793" and the keeper groove at 0.750". Can anyone confirm I'm using the correct part?

Thanks in advance,
    Ralph
    Ralph

i've never broken one and it sounds like you have the right stuff but i cant confirm the dimensions tonight. i always put the opening in the snap ring at 12:00 or 6:00 because they will jump off or break if you put the opening at 3:00 or 9:00 sometimes but not all the time

Comment

I have broken an NOS OEM keeper upon installation, but never a modern generic repop!

I attributed it to crystallization with age.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I picked up another set this morning from Lee's Speed Shop (Thanks Lee!). Hopefully tonight I can get them installed. (Cross your fingers, knock on wood)
        Ralph

Comment

I installed my new keepers last night - this set was allegedly from Eastern. No problem, everything went together well, pistons and cylinders are installed.
          Ralph

Comment

Working...
          X