Advance springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance springs

Hey, can anyone give advice on automatic advance circuit breaker advance springs for a 1969 FL. Bike starts great off the button but, using the kicker it is difficult to start. Have been told it is because it retards itself to far. With a manual retard/advance you just slightly retard when kicking. Can I use very small tubing on the pins to keep from going to full retard?
    Thanks guys, fog frank

I just wish I could find a set of springs for my 1965.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

FogFrank and Chris!

Tedd used to sell a variety of springs (haven't looked lately, not likely to either), but you need a Sun distributor machine (NOT that H-Ds had *distributors*, of course) to really see what the curve is.

I found my '65 was practically off-on.
      (The running problem turned out to be only bouncing points, showed by phantom arrows all over the fancy dial.)

The 32605-67 (VT 13-0162) springs werk gud.

When one of my sets of flyweights egged their pin holes, I just peened them smaller. They make a hammer for that.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have heard the same story about the auto timers retarding too far. Is there any truth to this?
        VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
          I have heard the same story about the auto timers retarding too far. Is there any truth to this?
          VPH-D
          Fresh from the Factory, no, in my humble opinion.
          (I've had four '65s, albeit not all of them came together....)

Even as a tired warhorse, my wife's '65 kickstarts like it never stopped running. Even with a beverage in your right hand: No VARrroom, just instant potatopotatopotato.

The '65 timers had other design faults, but I wouldn't count that as one. By '66 onward these things were worked out after-the-fact, in typical MOCO fashion.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-25-2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: Put-diddy-put is too slow of an idle.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Sadly the -67 springs don't fit the one year only -65 timer.
            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Doh!

VT 13-0166 are the itty bitty springs.

I musta changed flyweights, but the pivots aren't the same either.
              Probably hammered them shut too!

...Cotten
              PostScript:
              Wondering where I put the -67 springs, I first peeked into my benched auto-advance knuck with a dental mirror and a flashlight, and no, those are shiney typewriter springs. (Got a lifetime supply!)

My wife's bike is at home but I'm pretty sure inspite of CRS that my best assembly went into it, back about 1983.

So they're either in my other Knuck with a converted manual timer (*anything* could be in it!) or they went into the second bike from the left in the attachment.

With a Nanasi spring scale, my Tedd replacements take about a half-ounce more to pull to full advance (no points cam installed) than a veteran '66 assembly (~ one oz.)

They might even produce a curve!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Hey Cotten & Chris,
                Thanks for the reply. I believe I'am on rhe right track now. Cotten, don't think I ever thanked you for the float I bought from you, has worked fine, thanks
                fog frank

Comment

Frank!
                  If you paid me, you thanked me enough. I thank you!
                  (By the way, it is under lifetime guarantee.)

Back to advance springs, I had a chance to dig out assemblies and spares that I hadn't looked over in at least a decade.

The springs on the bottom left were ones I replaced with -67 springs once upon a time. They are much smaller in diameter of course.
                  In the middle are NOS 32604-64 springs; to the right is a Tedd offering, which is identical.
                  These fit one of my shelved '65 assemblies, but my other spare appears to have a later shaft and plate installed, as it has the fat pivots and fat springs. (Or perhaps only the springs had been replaced, and it originally had springs like those on the left?)

Yet another oddity is shown above.
                  This is an NOS cam and springs purchased from a Dealership in the mid-'80s, pulled from their bins by OEM number.
                  Those springs do not appear to fit anything! (And they are quite stiff.)

My suspicion (beyond my failing memory) is that there may well have been running changes within the production year. A '66 breaker in my drawer had small pivots and the -64 springs, but lacked the provision for 62150-50 weight retaining clips.

At any rate, PM me your postal address, Chris, and I'll drop a pair of -64s in an envelope.
                  (I prefer the stainless typewriter supply, myself.)

And Fog Frank, if you really need them, I can send you some of the -67s as a courtesy to an established account, as Liberty no no longer retails anything not associated with our services.

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,
                    Is that an extra cam for the 1965? If so I need to buy one of those too.
                    Chris Haynes
                    9716 Lemona Ave.
                    North Hills, CA 91343-2422
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Cotten,
                      Is that an extra cam for the 1965? If so I need to buy one of those too.
                      Chris!

As I said in my last post, I don't retail anything except what is directly related to my carb and manifold services.

If the springs do not fit, please give them away to someone with a timer that they do fit.

....Cotten
                      Long Boring PostScript:
                      As I mentioned, I seem to remember the past clearly *sometimes*, but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night.

The owner of the local Dealership always seemed to harbor ill feelings towards me. For example, upon walking into the local watering hole one night in the mid '80s, I saw him leaning lecherously over one of the casual young lady tribals. He squinted out of the corner of his eye at me and whispered to her. "I don't get along with this guy..."

No big deal: He distained nearly all the young male tribals, and included me, inspite of my lack of tattoos, because I was dirt poor and never bought a machine off his floor.

This attitude extended to his parts counter, as none of his help could ever find the parts I needed, even though the Dealership had been in operation since 1922 and had a bodacious stock of obsolete hardware.

So whenever I spotted a new employee behind the counter, I would pull a short list of OEM numbers and try them again.
                      One fresh young lady had no trouble finding a pair of the cams and the weird springs that didn't exist a few months earlier.

The next visit she couldn't find me anything at all.

So forgive me if I consider the cams to be trophies of sorts.
                      They are earmarked for assemblies stashed back as well.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                        At any rate, PM me your postal address, Chris, and I'll drop a pair of -64s in an envelope.
                        (I prefer the stainless typewriter supply, myself.)

....Cotten
                        Cotten is a man of his word as the springs arived today.
                        Thank you very much Mr. Cotten.

Now if anybody has a line on a 32542-64 cam for the '65 I will be ready to roll.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Cotten,
                          Tell who that was, just a first name or initials so as not to upset anyone. Oh, you cant use initials there were two BW's there. I used to get treated about the same way down there. Its exactly the same now except the people at the parts counter actually can not find any part for a bike over two years old.
                          John Underwood
                          AMCA#14400
                          Central Illinois

Comment

More '65 invasion of the Chubblehead world.

Now, now , Mr. U!

You know it wasn't you, and the machine (which apparently I defiled) belongs to a gentleman who is not an AMCA member, so it would be entirely unfair.

Haven't seen our friend in some time, but the machine could very well be negotiable. And his '59, Or that wonderful '72 with a hack...!
                            (Just think,... He's ten minutes from you.... Nevermind, You've already got a Chubblehead.)

Only the shaved head in the lineup is another non-member, and he has since cash'd his in.

...Cotten
                            PS: Neither of my '65s are shown, of course.
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X