stainless spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless spokes

should one be deducted for stainless spokes on a 1935 h-d vld?

Yes if they are polished, no if they are glass beaded or otherwise dull finish to simulate cadmium finish.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

that makes sense. thank you.

Comment

Although the club approves of blasted stainless spokes I feel they ruin the appearance of an otherwise nicely restored classic.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I believe the concession that Stainless steel could be used for spokes was due to the difficulty in getting original finishes done and the fact that most after market spoke manufactures only supply spokes in stainless now.
          The rule change/concession only related to the appearance of the finish of the spoke.
          The finish shape and type of the spoke and nipple should still look similar to those fitted on an original bike.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Good point Pete!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Buchannan spokes and nipples for clincher rims are not like original. My 1919 Henderson got gigged for 4 flat nipples when it should have 2 flat nipples. My only recourse is to make the nipples myself. Can someone suggest a differnt spoke and nipple manufacturer?
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
                I believe the concession that Stainless steel could be used for spokes was due to the difficulty in getting original finishes done and the fact that most after market spoke manufactures only supply spokes in stainless now.
                The rule change/concession only related to the appearance of the finish of the spoke.
                The finish shape and type of the spoke and nipple should still look similar to those fitted on an original bike.

Pete Reeves 860
                Peter,
                If you have all the other cadmium plated parts on your machine redone why not the spokes? I buy used spokes & nipples and dump them into my bucket to go to the plater. 18" spokes used on the '60's sportsters are the same as Knuck and 45" spokes
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris I agree with you Good used spokes and nipples suitable for restoration can still be found especially for 30s and up Harleys. It’s not so easy on earlier bikes but they can still be found. I have spent many hours dismantling damaged and rusty wheels and then wire brushing spokes just to recover some spokes and nipples.

Cad plate is a problem but it is still possible to get it done. Most bikes that had cadmium spokes had cadmium on other parts. You see a lot of bikes in for judging that have all the parts that should be cad correctly finished but they have stainless spokes and nipples,
                  WHY? If these parts can be plated why not cad the original spokes and nipples?

Early American motorcycle spokes and nipples are more of a problem but fortunately the same style nipple appears to have been used by more than one motorcycle manufacturer and it’s still possible to find wheels with spokes and nipples that can be used.

Eric When I restored my ACE I could not use the original spokes as they were to badly corroded but I managed to save most of the nipples and found some others, I managed to get a wheel building company here in England to make me some double butted spokes to match the originals they could only make them in stainless and the thread they rolled had a slightly larger gauge than the originals making the nipples a very tight fit. But they had the same 40 TPI thread as the originals; I bought a special tap to match the new spokes and re-taped the thread in all 80 nipples.

At one time Clone engineering (unfortunately no longer with us)used to supply buchanan spokes with the earlier nipple I believe they made their own nipples and rolled the correct thread on blank buchanan spokes. All that the serious restorer had to do was grind the B of the end of each spoke.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but who/where is a good place for cad plating?

Comment

Cad Plating---$60 Minimum But For That They Will Do A Lot Of Stuff

Cascade Plating
                      210 Sabre Rd.
                      Elyria, Oh. 44035

440-366-4931

Comment

Working...
                      X