Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Saddlebags

Dear all,

I hope you are doing fine! Weather is getting better and I guess you are more in the road now...

Is somebody willing to share with me his expertise on saddlebags? I need an assessment on the following ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1097

After design they seem to match to the 1947 BT model but I suspect these are repops... (simply to nice and in seems that the original should have also a line of square patterns below the row of nickels on the lid - I make here reference to Palmer...)

If these are OEM, I need also none of you to bid!

Kind regards and thanks to all.

Chris.

Don't know if 47 & 48 were different, but this photo is of what I believe to be an original 48 bag. they don't look the same to me.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks, bmh! I will check Palmer later today for the changes on 48... Certainly some minor ones, but anyway... From your picture I share your same opinion. Lock is different and I see no big HD logo on it. I think ebay one is a repop... Thanks again!

Comment

I have to correct myself: 48 introduced a completely new saddlebag - the "King Size". 47 was a one-year saddlebag and is the one in the picture of bmh. Kind regards! Christian.

Comment

Chris,
          The saddlebag image sent by bmh is correct. That saddlebag should have the row of square details & harley wings embossed in the leather, its just not showing in the image. I think the Loctite bags were available in 1946 also, not sure though. I have a set that look like bmh's image on my '47. They were difficult to find. I wasn't able to see the ebay post. There are repops out there that, in my opinion, don't look right. If I didn't have originals, I'd buy the ones made at Worsham Castle. Even if you find them, they're usually pretty dry to actually use. Good luck in your search. Bob
          Bob

Comment

The locktite bags in question for sale on eBay are reproductions. As previously posted, on the originals,there is a line of embossing on the bottom of the lid, the "Locktite' hardware is incorrect, as is the spot on the botton of the bag where the nickle spots form a V shape. In addition, the bottom rosettes on originals are pointed ( not rounded) and are orange with a 1 1/8 inch washer, 7/8 round orange rosette and a nickle plated rivet. Contrary to what Chris in Japan posted , yes the king size saddlebags ( the first side specific bags ever offerd by H-D) were introduced in 1948, but the Locktite bags were still available as late as September 1952, although not shown in regular accessory catalogs, only in accessory lists. I have hard copy documentation for this. According to my research, 1947 vin #'s 1001--about 10050 would have been a 5 hole mount and 10051--September 1952 a 4 hole mount plate.

Comment

Wow! Crystal clear, Paquette! Many thanks for the detailed description - now I am much better prepared for the search!

Maybe I overlooked the explanation but what about embossed logos in these 47 saddlebags? A big winged one in the lid? Nothing at all? Many thanks again!

Comment

Paquette! I hope you are not on summer holidays yet...

I need your professional expertise on following ones, please!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_893

Are these both original and correct for 1947?

Many thanks!

Chris.

Comment

Hi everybody!

And some new loctite again... sorry for being such a pain!

Can somebody please get a look on these below and tell me if original and if 1947?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...g#ht_500wt_893

They look old - no doubt on that - but I miss now the nickels "V" in the lid! This chasing for correct parts ain't easy...

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Chris.

Comment

Sorry, I made a mistake... I meant the "V" in the face and the row in the lid's edge. I see yes the square patterns (in the lid's) edge but I see no trace of removed nickels - at least not with this picture quality!

Comment

Chris--These are very early Locktite bags. the early ones did not have the spots. I hope whoever buys them will ignore the sellers advise to use cooking oil on them!!!!That is a sure way to ruin them forever--Michael 6671

Comment

Working...
                      X