Schebler rebuilders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schebler rebuilders

A friend is building a pre-40 Chief and got burned on the carburetor. Schebler carbs are almost a disposable carburetor because of the pot metal body but the "reputable" vendor he got it from should have warned him about bad threads on this particular body. I gather Tom Cotton isn't doing carburetor work anymore so can the membership recommend a rebuilder that is good with worn out Scheblers.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Uh, where did you gather that?

Liberty is at your service, focusing exclusively upon American motorcycle carburetors and manifolds from '12 to '66. (Expansion to earlier years inevitable due to demand....)

And no finer floats are available at this time than the ones I cut to order by my own hand.
    And my float guarantee is lifetime, whether the obsolete formula or the new.
    (Stoopid breakage doesn't count, just fuel damage of course...)

Please do not 'dispose' of a Schebler until you see the proud prices displayed upon ebay!

By "burned", I suspect that Exeric referred to a DLX113. They are quite a chore when they have begun to melt like candlewax in the sun.
    A "scupper" is good insurance against an even greater melt-down.

....Cotten
    PS: If I died and don't know it, please alert my wife to let the dog out.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Sorry Tom, I recall you being quite vehement about not wanting new work. I must have misunderstood. Your name is the first to come to mind in regards to Linkert and Schebler carburetor expertise. My friend's carb is a DLX 108 and the the low speed needle threads and bowl threads are marginal at best. I advised my friend to send his carburetor to an expert and just be done with it. A lot of us can muddle our way through a rebuild on an already good carb but why not get someone who knows what they are doing, make it perfect. By the way, I have a Heitger glass bowl carb that may need some work. Is that something you would be comfortable with ?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!

Liberty closed the doors on motor and chassis accounts over four years ago, and I have failed to find anyone to re-open those departments.
        But I continue on with carbs and manifolds as best I can.

Bowlstem thread repairs can be achieved by three different approaches, however the lowspeed needle threads are in the lift lever. If perhaps you meant the highspeed, where the
        threads are in the potmetal body, it is often easiest to just add threads to the needle knob to reach past the damage. I have one or two needles left of a batch that I commissioned with overlength threads to begin with.

I have never had the pleasure of opening up a Heitger, but I have often wished that Linkerts had similar bowls! If the glass is intact, conservation of the rest should be a pleasure.

(Nobody has sent me a Zenith yet, either, although I have stocked springs, gaskets, and such for them.)

...Cotten
        Attached Files
        AMCA #776

Comment

Tom, I am building a 28 JD for the cannonball run. The basket case I bought has complete Schebler DLX48 with manifold. It looks good from the outside. I have a spare Linkert 74B to use if necessary. This motor will be 84" when I'm done with it. Which carb with be the most reliable and user friendly? Will one provide more power than the other? Is there a ready made manifold available to install the Linkert?

Thanks,
          RT

Comment

RT!

All carbs should perform well if thoroughly reconditioned.
            The late model would be cheaper to rebuild, of course, but would get fingers pointed at it for certain.
            (And it would probably do best to use a smaller venturi: Your original is 7/8" whereas the late model is 1 5/16". Your DLX can be fitted with something in between if you like, and will probably need a replacement anyway.)

Adapting the manifold would either be a shamefull cut'n'paste, or an expensive pattern-making and foundry exercise.

All 1¼" models will fit the manifold, but your investment would be most secure with the original carb, naturally.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2013, 03:01 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Loose venturi

Cotton,
              The venturi is slightly loose inside my DLX48. The venturi at it's smallest point measures 1.090".
              Is this a problem? Do you sell new oversize replacements?

Rowdy

Comment

Rowdy!

The Schebler DLX design is enormously forgiving, however I am obligated by History to make them as sweet as possible.

So my shop only offers services, as we do not wish to conflict with our good friends who sell "retail". (Although Liberty is on the brink of extinction from inferior "cookie-cutter" competition.)

I guess it is all a matter of what you expect from your Historical machine.
                If cashing it in is a priority, then.... Nevermind..., you will do fine.

...Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by Bro74 View Post
                  . . . This motor will be 84" when I'm done with it. ...
                  Not to high-jack this thread, but how are you getting 84-inches on a JD bottom?
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Cotton, Do you have contact info, I need a peek float and peek manifold seals for a Panhead.

Comment

Camsaure!

Please feel free to email me direct at liberty@npoint.net.

And also please note that while I custom-cut the PEEK material for worn manifold reconditioning, my DURABLE floats for Linkerts and Scheblers are carved from an entirely different material.

I appreciate your interest,

...Cotten
                      Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc.
                      118 N. Washington Street
                      Lacon, IL 61540 USA
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Truett and Osborn flywheels.

Comment

Working...
                        X