Transmission Lock Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Lock Strip

I posted this first in the "rebuilding" area, but no answer came from there, so re-posting here.

Obviously missing when I disassembled the bike (66FLH) but I have a "transmission lock strip" in the mounting kit I got from Colony. The parts manual shows it mounting on the front of the tranny mounting plate, but where/how?

Does it go between the front of the tranny plate and frame with the lip up, so the lip is alongside the front of the mounting plate? It can't go on top of the mounting plate, as the bolts come up from the bottom and thread into the plate on the front?

If it does go between the plate and frame, why? Why take a rock solid flat fit of plate to frame and add this thin strip?

The lock strip goes under the bolt heads on the front of the transmission mounting plate. The edge that is folded up goes against the back side of the transmission mount on the rear of the seat post tube and then you will bend an ear up to a flat on each bolt head. I believe this lock strip is unique to early shovelheads (pre-nose cone), although the 65's may have used it as well.

Comment

lock plate

goes on rear bolts where it bolts to the frame on trans mounting plate on
      early shovel`s

Comment

Front or rear..

Gee guys... one guy says it mounts on the front bolts and one guy says it mounts on the rear bolts... isn't that interesting and both are quite confident about where the damn thing goes.. I thought I knew...and now I still don't have a clue!

Comment

Here is how it goes. It goes on the front as the parts book describes. Look at the illustration in the parts manual. Now rotate the lockplate 180 degrees. Get the image of the trans moutning plate out of your head for a moment. The 2 ears of the lock plate will tuck under the frame lug and the angled portion will bed up against it. Make sense?
          Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
          Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Yup, Motorhead is right...

I have not figured out WHY it's there, other than the bolts come up from the bottom on the front of the mounting plate and if they worked loose, they'd fall out..but yes, the strip goes on the front bolts and is 180 degrees different than the parts manual shows it. it is shaped the way it is so it can go "around" the seat post and fit under both bolts.

Thanks for all those who weighed in on this. Amazing how many different views we have!

Steve

Comment

Steve, when the bolts are tight you bend the "ears" of the strip down over the two flats of the bolt head which will prevent the bolt from backing out. A good example of this is a front fender lock strip on a Road King.
              Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
              Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Hey, OldHog66, I'm just starting reassembly of a 65, which was missing the trans lock strip when I took it apart, even though the parts book calls for it.

I got an NOS lock strip and NOS replacements for many other missing or messed up fasteners from OldDude.

When you figure out where and how the trans lock strip goes, how about posting a pic?

Thanks!
                Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Working...
                X