Need some rims..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some rims..

My rims and hubs are worn, probably 20 year old re-pops but servicable for awhile. Races have some rough spots, more from sitting (all on one side) than running and chrome on the rims is in bad shape... They'll run me for a bit, but I'I want to put some new wheels on the old girl.

I plan on using the Star (with Timkins) from 45 Parts Depot, that accept the stock axles and will have Buchanan lace 'em up... Now, where do I get a rim that is a good stock replica? If mine were stock, I'd re-chrome them, but mine were made in Taiwan, so I can buy new ones a lot cheaper than having those re-chromed and save 5 weeks of chroming time.

I see that Vtwin has a corrrect appearing rim #52-0224... Drop center 16x3, 40 spoke with a side (large) hole for rubber valve stem.

I'm guessing that it's also Taiwan, but is there anything else out there that I need to know about? I asked the folks at Buchanan and they don't make or stock the old style rim, nor could they direct me anywhere.

While we're on the subject, I can't absolutley confirm in any of my books, whether the hub was chrome in '66....or?

The restoration process got better as the week progressed last week. I think 5 trips to the machine shop got my blood pressure higher than needed!

I saw a set of rims made in Ohio by a company called American Wire Wheel. The rims were quite accurate and did not have the safety bead feature found on later K-H rims which make them perfect for knuckleheads and ridgid pans. The only inaccuracy I noticed was at the valve stem area, which wasn't shaped exactly like a K-H rim. The chrome was excellent as well. The problem is who to get them from and how much do they cost? I went to their web site but they are a manufacturer so you have to deal with a distrubutor. I sent them a request for info so I'll let you know what I hear back.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric!

Comment

Eric...how about the hub finish??? Was it chrome or black? or other... I'm equipping the bike as King of the Highway for option package...so it has chrome everywhere specified, but none of my "bibles" has the hub finish. Can I asssume that on a chrome rim bike, the hub was also chrome?

Comment

H-D hubs were NEVER chromed on any package. And NEVER any chrome spokes either!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Old Hog, hubs painted black, spokes and nipples cad finish.

Re; your rims...you looking for OEM or other.

Comment

Panz,
              Would love to have OEM, but ok with accurate replicas. I just don't want to invest in new hubs, rims, etc and have the judges tear me a new ass because it was the wrong type of rim or the valve stem was wrong size or location or any of that.. Trying to do an accurate restoration, but also not trying to spend $100K doing it. I have taken some liberties already..calculated choices... like powdercoating the frame... I know I'll take a small hit for that... I'm lucky to have the vast vast vast majority of my stock bolts, and had them re-plated.

Thanks for the info on the black hub...that was my best guess, but had not been able to confirm!

Comment

Originally posted by OldHog66 View Post
                .....I have taken some liberties already..calculated choices... like powdercoating the frame... I know I'll take a small hit for that...
                Last I heard, there is no penalty for powder-coated frames.

Comment

You never said what year yor working on but for this it really doesn't matter as all shovel heads should have the safety bead rim.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

sorry, forgot to list......it's a 66 FL

and as I look at all the rims in all the catalogs and websites...how do I tell if it's got a beaded rim?

Comment

old hog
                      you said you had your old hardware replated where did you have it done?
                      Moose
                      aka Glenn

Comment

sorry, forgot to list......it's a 66 FL

and as I look at all the rims in all the catalogs and websites...how do I tell if it's got a beaded rim?
                        Here's how Chris Haynes explained to me how you can tell the difference--- if you pee on the wheel, a safety-bead rim will hold a little of it in the lip at the outer edge of the wheel. An earlier non-safety-bead rim will allow the pee to shed off. I made a mess in my shop checking my assortment of wheels.......

Comment

tom i think you killed more than just the brain cell that was holding you back---you ain't right!!!!

Comment

Glen,
                            if you mean chrome plating, I sent my stuff to Browns Plating in Padukah... there are a zillion plating shops and almost as many horror stories. If you want it done right, send it there... However, if you have parts that need repair..they don't do it.. I have a local chrome shop that I took a few parts to, where I could hand carry it in, have a conversation, point to the bad spots, etc, and said "can you weld/smooth/repair this and plate it..and they leave me just enough money to buy gas on the way home... and they do a pretty good job (not quite as good as Browns).

I also had parts (nuts/bolts/brackets/shifter/linkage, etc), re-zinc'd... Did not go for CAD..what an expensive PITA for a shitty looking finish...anyway, I have a friend here with relationship with a large commercial shop that does AC ducts and stuff and he took in my basket full of parts (all strung on wire) and had them done for very little pocket change. But other than relationships, they are really not in that 1sy, 2sy, kind of business. But they did a bang up job on about 98% of the parts I sent them!

Comment

I also had parts (nuts/bolts/brackets/shifter/linkage, etc), re-zinc'd... Did not go for CAD..what an expensive PITA for a shitty looking finish...
                              Cadmium is a flat looking finish. Zinc looks bright, not as Cad should look. Restoring a motorcycle is returning it to the condition it left the factory in. Anything else is customizing.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X