Tool marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool marks

Rooster posted this photo on a different thread the other day and something caught my eye by the cover dowel.

I recognized the marks right away because my sand cast gear cover for my 51 has similar marks, though in a slightly different location.

If I had never seen the photo Rooster posted I would've continued to assume these marks were from some one having the cover clamped in their bench vise for some type of repair and would have blended them out. Now I will not only leave them, but do whatever I can to preserve them. It's amazing what you can learn from one photo. So I was wondering how many others have seen similar marks on parts? I guess they were left by the clamps at the milling machine when the screw holes were counter sunk. I wouldn't have thought something like this would pass quality control, Guess I was wrong.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

That's very interesting, bmh. Good eye. And for the record, I need to report that the photos I posted are copies of 1952 factory photos that I got from Chris Haynes. I cannot take credit for the photos, rather we can thank Chris!

Comment

That is super interesting Brian! I just had to run out to the shop and check out a cover I had hanging on the wall. But, alas I had forgotten that somewhere in it's lifespan somebody decided to start a modification! Any theories behind why someone would start grinding like that? Besides the obvious I guess, maybe they wanted the smoother version? Sorry to sidetrack the original point to this thread.....

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

That looks like it has been whacked, really hard or multiple times with a hammer. ...bill
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

A similar fixture mark can be found on a great many muffler body clamps, and can show up on just about anything.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            That is super interesting Brian! I just had to run out to the shop and check out a cover I had hanging on the wall. But, alas I had forgotten that somewhere in it's lifespan somebody decided to start a modification! Any theories behind why someone would start grinding like that? Besides the obvious I guess, maybe they wanted the smoother version? Sorry to sidetrack the original point to this thread.....

Probly to keep a loose brake peddle from rubbing against it.
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

You could be onto something there Robert..... which makes me wonder why wouldn't the dolt fix the brake pedal? Just a thought......
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Cause he welded to the pivot crooked.

Comment

You could be onto something there Robert..... which makes me wonder why wouldn't the dolt fix the brake pedal? Just a thought......
                  People fall down on them.
                  It happened a lot, and still does.

...Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton, you make things so damn obvious! After you said it, I thought to myself....."why didn't I think of that"? Now that cover has a story!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Returning to the original point of this thread, I found that same tool mark on my cam cover, skid plate, and the the foot shift support bracket when recently tearing down my 65 FLH.

Having seen Rooster's original post and the related comments of others there and here, I took those marks as evidence the parts in question were factory originals. Now I'd be glad to find more as I clean things up and reassemble!
                      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

That cover couldn't be run with that hole in the oil passage.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          That cover couldn't be run with that hole in the oil passage.
                          Sure it could. Just not for very far.

Comment

Chris........I guess that's why I paid five bucks for it at a meet a few years back. It's art for now but could be repaired and put back into service one day.....
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Tool marks that was on one of my muffler clamps. Got to looking after Tom Cotton's post.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X