1934 VLD Paint color(s) & Styles....I need to make a decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 VLD Paint color(s) & Styles....I need to make a decision

Hi gang, is there a site (or book) that lists all of the paint Colors/Styles (with pictures) so that I may make a decision on what I like for my 34LVD?
    Anyone have a lead?

Thanks~

Tom
    AMCA #6151

Colors were:
    Teak Red & Black.
    Silver & Teak Red.
    Orlando Orange & Black.
    Olive Green & Black.
    Silver & Sea Foam Blue.
    Diamond shapped panels on both fenders.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

My 34 was Teak Red and Black. I really like the Orlando Orange (very popular on recent restos), and Olive green. I feel sort of obligated to repaint as original. Tom, If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of 34s I have taken over the years.
      Attached Files
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Hi Tom, I'm pretty sure this is original paint.
        Attached Files
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
          Hi Tom, I'm pretty sure this is original paint.
          1934 fenders were two toned. They had contrasting diamonds on them.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
            If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of 34s I have taken over the years.
            PM sent (THANK YOU)!!
            AMCA #6151

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              Colors were:
              Teak Red & Black.
              Silver & Teak Red.
              Orlando Orange & Black.
              Olive Green & Black.
              Silver & Sea Foam Blue.
              Diamond shapped panels on both fenders.
              Killer thanks for the names of the colors!
              OH and Chris thank you for the info on Bob Stark.
              I used him for my 47 Chief and this 34 VLD and he has been flawless!
              He is a great resource and gets the job done!!
              You have been very helpful and it is appreciated.
              I'm buying you whatever you drink someday.....and that is NOT an empty threat!
              AMCA #6151

Comment

I don't see the 2 tone fenders in the black and white photo posted by Chris. The fuel tank is 2 tone but not the fenders. The tank shows the ' 34 Diamond logo. Is the photo of an early ' 34 paint scheme before they put diamond on both fenders ? What would the judges say presented with a 2 tone tank but a single color scheme on the fenders ?

The stock market crashed in ' 29 and the economy went to crap. HD had continued the green machines thru the 20's, a hold over from the military demands of production for "Over There " . What year did they change to the more colorful paint schemes ?

I've been told that the reason they changed the paint was to " brighten up " some of the doom and gloom of the Great Depresssion and to better compete with the always more colorful Indians. A flash of bright color and the bark of a motor zipping past can stir the heart and imagination as you stand in line looking for work, .. or soup. Autos of the day were all dark colors except for selected fire and rescue vehicles.
                William McClean
                AMCA # 60

Comment

Both fenders in 1934 definitely had diamond panels as Chris said.

For 1934, the first color listed in the combination is carried on the sides of the tanks and fenders. The second color listed is carried on the top of the tanks and fenders.
                  Two standard color combinations were available on the twins: Teak Red with Black panels, and Silver with Teak Red panels; with three more combinations optional at no extra charge, but not carried in stock. These are Silver with Sea Foam Blue panels, Orlando Orange with black panels and Olive Green with Black panels.

In addition to the colors listed above, a “Summer Color Special” announcement was mailed to dealers that described the new brilliant color combination of Copper Du Lux with Vermilion Red panels on the fenders and tanks. This combination was available on 1934 Twins for a limited time only.

Comment

The diamond on the fenders sure don't show in that photo.

What is up with that ?
                    William McClean
                    AMCA # 60

Comment

The angle of the photo!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So, .. the Diamond on the rear fender comes to a point and stops before it reaches the top of the curve of the fender ? It does not extend forward past the high point of the Arched fender, into the view of the camera.

I have heard quite a few debates over this Diamond on the fenders of the ' 34 as a Factory paint feature, and Where the Diamond should be placed on the fenders. Looking at ' 34 fenders I have not found any consistancy in the location of this Diamond on the Fender of the twins, and several mono colored fenders.

The fenders Look much better with the diamond 2 tone paint, then a solid 1 color paint. I suspect that this is really a Custom Paint Modification { pronounced " Period Modified " } that was very popular in the day, especially by the time the ' 35 rolled out with a different paint scheme on the fuel tank, which retained the ' 34 diamond.

Can anyone Show this on a Factory paint machine for ' 34 ? Or in Factory literature ? I have not been able to find it in my own library. This photo supplied by Chris shows no evidence of Diamonds on the Fenders.

Chris, what is the origin of the photo you have kindly provided ?
                        William McClean
                        AMCA # 60

Comment

William,
                          Here are a couple of scans of the '34 new models as published by 'Motorcyclist" in July of '33. The pages are much larger than the August '33 "Enthusiast" and are easier to see. One of the features they mention is the paint scheme. In the September '33 "Enthusiast" they show the police and commercial models. NO diamonds are evident on those. So perhaps the feature was restricted to the more deluxe models. The diamonds are pictured on the sidecar models including the SC fender.
                          Robbie

Well, after several tries I can't load the scans. They are too large and I am too inept to make them work. PM me your email and i will send them to you. Perhaps someone else can post them.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                            Well, after several tries I can't load the scans. They are too large and I am too inept to make them work. Perhaps someone else can post them.
                            With the software that I use, I can easily manipulate photos to reduce their file size and maintain most of their physical size. Some resolution will be lost. Robbie, do you have my email address?

Comment

Tom
                              I sent you a PM.
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X