Info Wanted Pope Western Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Wanted Pope Western Division

Looking for any info on the Pope Western Division, Chicago, that built camelback tank/Thor powered motorcycles under the names Hawthorne, Imperial, Columbia and Rambler 1904/05/06. Specifically looking for Imperial photos/lit that might show striping patterns. Thank you.

Very interesting request. I don't know enough about the all the Indian clones and would hope that someone has some knowledge to share. Here's what I could come up with. Antique Archaeology has this machine.......... an '05

This machine is an '09 and is in the Sturgis museum.

I've still got to get the rest of my pictures developed, I'm sure I have a better picture of this bike. Sorry that none of them can help you out with striping. I'm assuming you have one of these machines and am curious as to the state that it's currently in. Great to hear there are some more "early" enthusiasts floating around on this forum. It's also interesting that a Chicago reference came up. I was under the impression that Imperials came from Hartford, CT.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

The first picture is a nice piece. Do you know what "brand" it is. As I understand it, all four were built in Chicago to be supplied to different bicycle dealers. Very little known about these early machines. I appreciate the photos. Thank you.

Comment

The first pic is supposed to be an '05 Imperial. Yes, there is a lot to learn about these machines. I've been trying to track down info on the Warwick (another injun clone) and haven't had much luck....yet. If I stumble across anything else, I'll make sure I post it.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Here's part of an article from "The Motorcycle" by The Automobile Journal Publishing Co. 1912. I thought it may be of some interest.

Here's an example of an Imperial Twin.

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

C.O. I appreciate the help and interest, I know my buddy doing the machine will as well. Thank you.

Comment

No problem, if I stumble across anything else, I'll be sure to post it!!! Maybe we could see a pic or two when it's finished?
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

For what it is worth there was a 1904 Rambler motorcycle in the 1904 race at the Wisconsin State Fair where Harley-Davidson made it's first appearance. In the Two Mile Open race it came in third riden by a A. H. Nichols. In the Five Mile Open he came in third again.

Hope you can use the info.

Dick

Comment

Working...
                X