Generator from a B-28 single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator from a B-28 single

Hello! i have a generator for a 1928 Harley B single that is complete and in good condition, and i have a few questions:

Some of the wires that are wound 'round the armature are missing insulation, exposing the wires. Is there a recommended sealant i can use to protect them?

Inside the generator housing around the stator plates is what looks like thin cloth or paper insulation, most of which is missing. What is a good material to replace this with?

Finally, is there a good way to test this generator by itself? the timer assembly is complete and in very good condition. i do not have an ignition coil.

thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
    Hello! i have a generator for a 1928 Harley B single that is complete and in good condition, and i have a few questions:

Some of the wires that are wound 'round the armature are missing insulation, exposing the wires. Is there a recommended sealant i can use to protect them?
    Glyptal is commonly used for that purpose and should be readily available. I have a can of AES "Clear chemical resistant air-dry expoxy varnish 1215", that I got from my local old time motor rewinding shop. It's marked Industrial Use Only so you might have to hunt for something similar if you want a clear coating.

Inside the generator housing around the stator plates is what looks like thin cloth or paper insulation, most of which is missing. What is a good material to replace this with?
    By stator plates I assume you're referring to the pole shoes. The field coils are wrapped and then usually dipped. Pretty much anything that insulates them will work fine. Also, from my local motor repair shop I have a spool of some sort of fiberglass insulating cloth that I use for repairs or to completely re-wrap field coils. I have a book from the 30s that suggests using crepe paper and indeed I've been inside a Harley generator where the field coils were wrapped with crepe paper and worked fine.

Finally, is there a good way to test this generator by itself? the timer assembly is complete and in very good condition. i do not have an ignition coil.

thanks for your help!
    One simple way to test is to hook it up to the battery and see if it motors (this also has the benefit of polarizing the pole shoes). Usually if it motors it puts out, but this isn't foolproof. I have a 29 DL generator here now that motors really well but barely puts out anything when run up on the test bench. It has a rewound armature and I suspect that wasn't done right ... Perry

Comment

Working...
    X