Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cad plating on a '46 cast iron oil pump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad plating on a '46 cast iron oil pump...

Longtime AMCA member, new to the Forum. On my '46 Chief, I need to rebuild/refinish the oil pump. I want to do the correct cad plating on it. I have basically heard to use cad-colored paint, because plating it may clog up oil passages, or you have to re-tap threads, etc. Any input appreciated, pros/cons, etc. Thanks, BONES

I've had a lot of cad plating done and I can't imagine it clogging an oil passage. It's really quite thin and doesn't go deep into the crevices of a part. Additionally, you will not have to re-tap threaded holes. Natural lubricity is an advantage of cadmium plating and why it was the preferred plating for nuts and bolts.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Re: Cad plating...

Thanks, Eric, kind of what I was hoping to hear. That being said, what would be the best prep method for this type of piece? Bead blast, other media? I am worried about blast media in all the passages, prior to the plating. Thanks, Bones

Comment

I would disassemble and thouroughly de-grease and clean the pump in solvent. Forget the glass beads and use a wire wheel on the pump body. The cleaner the part is, the better it will look and stay protected. Also, your plater won't hate you for contaminating his plating tank.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Cad...

Thanks for your time and input, Eric. I will do it this way...BONES

Comment

exeric...

Did as you said, and it worked out perfect! Late update ...Bones

Comment

Working...
            X