Florida title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida title?

The day has come to get my 39 EL back on the road. I have a few concerns about title'ing and registering my bike. I currently have California Title and registration. Everything on it is perfect but since I am no longer stationed in California nor a resident, I can't renew there. I'm about tto have it titled in Floirda. On the transfer application, no where does it ask me to designate that it isa motorcycle. It also asks for weight and length (both important for a car but not so for a motorcycle. It also asks me for CCs (cubic centimeters) or brake horse power.

Any one have any advice (FOR FLORIDA ONLY)
    Anyone brave enough to post a scan or picture of their FLorida title or tell me all the info that is on it?

One last question, why in all the ebay vintage bikes you see for sale do they hide some digits of the VIN? Every auto for sale lists the VIN and every bike you look at in person you have access to see the VIN.

I went to the Eustis AMCA meet this year. Guy from West Palm Beach had a nice 39 that his wife let me take pictures of. A friend visiting them repeatedly asked me to confirm I wasn't taking pictures of the VIN. I told them "no, why would I want to take pictures of the number 39EL2546?" I said that to make it clear in my subtle way that it was a silly concern. What's the difference if I see the VIN (and therefore memorize the number) or take a picture of it? By teh way, the number I listed above was changed to protect the owner or the motorcycle or whatever)

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Jim,
    In CA if you are in the military you are allowed to keep your vehicle registered and drivers lisence in your home state. Of course nobody but you knows where your home state is do they?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Not sure how your application works Jim, but here in New Mexico there is a box that says "body type" such as SUV, SW (station wagon), etc. That box is where MC goes. I say if you are confused contact your state DMV and ask them. Try to talk to a supervisor or someone who knows. Sarge, any help for this guy?
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

hey jim,

i transfer a few of my bikes to florida from new york, and it was very easy!!! the only problem is they have to see the bike in person, check the mileage, and vin. they are very helpful, and i don't see you having nay problems.

i purchased a bike from california the later part of '08, and had the same questions you had. i took everything to DMV, and let them do their magic.

good luck, hope this helps!!!
        CHIEFJ48
        MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I took everything in to the Tax office (florida title and registration is done through tax office not DMV).

I now have a
          year: 1939, Make: HD, body: MC, Engine: 999cc
          Florida title and antique (blue) license plate and registration.

Thanks again,
          Jim

Comment

you can send a photo of vin to broadway tittle in ala.get a bill of sale from them .then send it to your state's dmv for a tittle in your name 100$ to broadway tittle 6$ to ala.dmv and what ever your dmv charges for tittle.now we have an ownership problem if original owner used a tittle mill (broadway) then good luck.who was first and who is telling a lie? this works for bikes over 25years old it is way to get a basket case tittle. it's just some crooks take advantage of this. so some owners get upset with photos of the vin#
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
              you can send a photo of vin to broadway tittle in ala.get a bill of sale from them .then send it to your state's dmv for a tittle in your name 100$ to broadway tittle 6$ to ala.dmv and what ever your dmv charges for tittle.now we have an ownership problem if original owner used a tittle mill (broadway) then good luck.who was first and who is telling a lie? this works for bikes over 25years old it is way to get a basket case tittle. it's just some crooks take advantage of this. so some owners get upset with photos of the vin#
              this does not work in all states ,dmv won't except them

Comment

Originally posted by bodnarjw View Post
                Thanks for all the advice. I took everything in to the Tax office (florida title and registration is done through tax office not DMV).

I now have a
                year: 1939, Make: HD, body: MC, Engine: 999cc
                Florida title and antique (blue) license plate and registration.

Thanks again,
                Jim
                Why not get a Horseless Carriage plate for $25 and NEVER have to pay again?
                http://laughingindian.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Indianut,

That is some great advice but it came a few days too late. Maybe next time.

Comment

Rob Ronky,

Thanks for explaining to me why some people don't like it when you take pictures of their VIN. That is scary if all it takes is a picture to get a Title. Florida as most states do requires the engine be inspected by the DMV or a notary or the Po-Leese.

Comment

Working...
                    X