Tillotson Carb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillotson Carb Help

I have a '67 XLCH with a Tillotson, that has a problem I would expect, from a carburetor, with a float. When I set it on the kick-stand, the idle becomes slower, and smoother. This occurs instantly. When I take it off the kick-stand(straight up and down) it may idle properly, for a while(maybe 30 seconds). I built a tester, for the inlet needle/seat, but the test shows OK( it holds at 1-2 psi, and releases at 5-6 psi). I have yet, to perform any other tests on the carb. Also, the previous owner recently installed a new diaphragm. Any ideas, from you Tillotson experts, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gary

How does it run at above-idle speeds when standing straight up? Does it accelerate ok and maintain speed when riding on the road?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Acceleration is good, if you get on it, but it has some hesitation, in midrange, and not as smooth in midrange, as it is when crusing. Also, seems to be better when the engine is hotter, like after you have ridden it at high speed, for a while. When I picked it up, it had colder plugs installed. The previous owner suggested I use the hotter plugs, which seemed to help, somewhat. I am currently using Bosch platinum 4036, which I have had good luck running in panheads, and a '62 XLCH, I previously owned. Gary

Comment

Thanks Tim. I took a look at the manual, and there is a test that can be performed, for the check ball. Also, it looks like you need to be pretty careful, about removing the welch plug, so not to cause any damage to the check valve. Have you ever removed this welch plug?
        Gary

Comment

Working...
        X