What Does a "B" Mean in Harley VIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does a "B" Mean in Harley VIN?

My 1924 Harley has a letter B stamped as the last digit in the VIN on the cases. Looks original as far as I can tell. Sure am curious what it means. Any help would be appreciated on this. Thanks.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

On the Injuns it means Battery.......... maybe it's the same with the "other" brand.... Seriously though.......cool bike Buzz. Do you get in a time warp when ya ride it?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Does the B appear to have been struck at the same time as the rest of the VIN? Or is is askew or different depth than the other numbers?
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

they do exist. ...bill
        Attached Files
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by 23JDCA 808 View Post
          they do exist. ...bill
          Yep, looks a lot like mine.

Anyone know what the "B' at the end means?
          Buzz Kanter

Comment

Could it be for the piston material? A was for aluminum and B was for iron. Or is that letter designation at the front with JD? Now you got me wondering......... Don't know much about the J Model.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Now come to think of it........ the A or B for piston material is surely at the front. Maybe you should quiz Dale there Buzz. I'm betting he might know.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

1924 was the first year for aluminum alloy pistons (optional). You may be on to something Cory.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

In a 1924 JD I believe the CA in the JDCA (at the front of the VIN number sequence) indicates the piston material. The B at the end is what I am trying to understand.
                  Buzz Kanter

Comment

There was also a JDCA in 1923 but they didn't offer aluminum pistons in 1923.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

That's according to the data I have. I believe aluminum pistons were available for earlier models but it looks like 1924 was the first year that they were confidently offered as an option. Tommo would be able to more give a more deffinitive answer.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Buzz.

According to the 1922 to 1927 parts book

JD. indicates 74cu inch. Generator equipped
                        A. indicates aluminium pistons.

According to the 28 to 32 parts book

C. indicates heavy duty commercial truck motor.

It also says that there is a compression plate specifically for low compression DCA motors, this would indicate that there were two different compression ratios offered on JDCAs maybe the reason for the B after the number?

Other reasons could be to indicate the motor sprocket size of if it was supplied with a side car or package truck.

Eric.
                        This may not mean that they were actualy fitted in 1923 but 22/27 and the 28/32 parts book lists aluminium pistons for the 23 DCA motors it lists different aluminium pistons for 24/25 motors.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                          Could it be for the piston material? A was for aluminum and B was for iron. Or is that letter designation at the front with JD? Now you got me wondering......... Don't know much about the J Model.
                          Cory wins the jackpot!

According to original model layout sheet for 1924, the letter "B" FOLLOWING the serial number stands for "Iron Alloy Pistons." However, none were marked "A" or "C" for that matter. Just "B".

1923 was not like that and 1925 was not like that.

In addition, the 24JDCA12472B bike number shown above was considered to be "Model 24JDCB" with the "A" dropped!

Aren't Harley serial numbers fun? The Bible Code ain't got nothing on us!
                          Last edited by HarleyCreation; 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: adding to the confusion....
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======
                          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                            Cory wins the jackpot!

According to original model layout sheet for 1924, the letter "B" FOLLOWING the serial number stands for "Iron Alloy Pistons." However, none were marked "A" or "C" for that matter. Just "B".

1923 was not like that and 1925 was not like that.

In addition, the 24JDCA12472B bike number shown above was considered to be "Model 24JDCB" with the "A" dropped!

Aren't Harley serial numbers fun? The Bible Code ain't got nothing on us!
                            Fascinating (and confusing) info. Thanks so much.

I have owned this bike since the 1980s but never really spent much time getting to know it properly. I am hoping that will change now, especially with all this help on this and the Classic American Iron Magazine site at www.caimag.com.
                            Buzz Kanter

Comment

Good trivia to know for sure. It's all about figuring out the puzzle. Again, cool machine you got there Buzz.......
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X