Four oil leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four oil leak question

For those lucky enough to have their fours running maybe someone can answer this question. Do you get much oil leaking from the shift lever where it goes into the top of the trans. Reason is now would be a good for me time to replace the bushing with one that has a O ring, but if it isn't a problem I will leave it alone. Thanks stan

i noticed mine use to leak in the beginging, but has stopped. i had a few leaks here, and there, but the more i use the bike the less the oil leaks. now when i say it leaks, i don't mean it pours oil all over the motor, and ground, i just noticed it was wet. the more you run it the more the cork swells, and seals. at least that is what i have found. i use to get a good stain up by the shifter shaft, and now it is dry. as far as i know i don't have any seals up there, and the only seals i have heard of are the o-rings you speak of. if you have it apart it would be a good time to do it right, and go with the o-ring.

good luck, and i hope this helps.
    CHIEFJ48
    MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Howdy Stan,

I've ridden a 440 for 15 or so years without an o-ring with some light wetting after long rides in warmer weather and a 441 for a little over a year "reputed" to be fit by a previous builder with an o-ring and it weeps ever so slightly as well.

Is this the same Four for which you inquired about the self servo 36-37 roller clutch (been meaning to get in the attic and answer your question on that one)? If so, not having the more effective valve train sealing of the 38-later engines, a leak from this area would be a "drop in the bucket" by comparison. Focusing on your generator drive, clutch disengagement shaft and final drive sprocket shaft will probably yield more noticeable results if you don't want to disturb the current shifter bushing.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

PRG, I found out about the rollers. Indian discontinued using them in the later models. I can just leave them out and be just fine. About the oil leaks you are right there is more places which will developd into a leak than the trans top. Thanks stan

Comment

Leaky Four

My worst leak on my 1929 Four is the unsealed exposed tappet guides. To add to the leak, they have a vertical oil channel all the way to the top of each guide bore and that makes matters worse. The oil will blow back over my flywheel housing after about a half hour underway....Joe
          Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
            My worst leak on my 1929 Four is the unsealed exposed tappet guides. To add to the leak, they have a vertical oil channel all the way to the top of each guide bore and that makes matters worse. The oil will blow back over my flywheel housing after about a half hour underway....Joe
            i'm not sure if this will work for you, but could you use baby bottle nipples to cover the ends of the push rods???
            CHIEFJ48
            MEMBER #2786

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm not certain how that would work tho some type of boots may seal but could also stop tappet rotation. In fact I see a couple of tappets on my 29 not rotating even at higher rpm. I think best would be to devize sealed tubes as covers like panheads use er sumpin...That would leave the tappets to dance about free.......Joe
              Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

how about using an inner tube cut to length??
                CHIEFJ48
                MEMBER #2786

Comment

Working...
                X