45 transimission build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 transimission build

For those of you who have never rebuilt your own 45 transmission, this topic will get you through it. Paps

http://www.flatheadpower.com/tech/vi...hp?f=6&t=10548

Thanks for the info Paps!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

You are welcome. Keep checking the topic often. The build will be updated often. Paps

Comment

Well.....the hits on the topic, tell me many of you, have checked it out. What do you think of the topic so far, and is there something, I should have added to it, up to this point ? Paps

Comment

Paps, Great so far. I only wish I had seen it January when I was replacing my tripper bolts,kicker gear and springs. Sure would have made things easier.

Sure hope mine holds together till next winter because now I've got a clackety clack ratcheting sound when the kick pedal returns to the up position. Chris

Comment

45 Transmission Build

Don't know if this the proper place to post this. I have a NOS 45 trans case. I think it's military surplus. The top of the case has 9 holes to mount the cover, the other 2 holes are filled with pressed in 1/4 " dowels. My other cases have 11 screws. Whats with the dowels?
            Thanks for any help...Rod

Comment

It's not a military case. It is an electric start case, 1964-73. The dowels are to maintain location of the electric starter transmission top, inline with the starter ring gear on the clutch basket. They are not really needed though. There is plenty of starter pinion gear to ring gear clearance without them. Paps

Comment

45Transmission Build

Hi Paps: thanks for the answer. I've had that case laying around for years and never knew what it was. Another question, could that case be converted back to a kicker only?
                Thanks...Rod

Comment

It is possible to convert it, but not really practical or cost effective. The electric start case is not machined for the kick start tripper bolts and starter clutch gear. I would advise trading or selling it off, so you could obtain a kick start case. If you also have the side cover, you will need to swap that out also. If you have the counter shaft and cluster gear, you will need to swap those out as well. Paps

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's more work than it's worth. It will be on my Davenport swap table this year....Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X