Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning!!! Por-15 Marine Clean Will Damage Your Paint!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning!!! Por-15 Marine Clean Will Damage Your Paint!!!!

The following warning and experience should be passed on to anyone considering using POR-15 to seal a rusted area that is surrounded by original paint they want to retain. The problem I’m about to describe just happened to me about 2 hours ago and I do not want anyone to have to suffer what I just suffered through.

I have an original paint, Skyway Blue 1947 EL Harley. The bike was completely disassembled to clean, replace bushings, rebuild the blown engine, etc. The bike had spent the last 50+ years under a tarp since the motor blew sometime in the 50’s. I bought the bike from the daughter of the original owner.

When I removed the rear taillight and the front fender light, I found extensive rust from moisture and mud being trapped under the solid rubber gaskets used under those lights. I needed to remove the loose rust and somehow seal the area to prevent rust from continuing when the bike was reassembled.

I asked experts I knew, posted my questions on the AMCA site, researched products on the web, called companies and talked to them. When all was said and done, POR-15 came out as the best choice. I spoke with the company and made sure they understood the application and they said it would do what I wanted. I told them this was an original paint bike.

Today I started the process. First step is to clean the area with their product call Marine Clean. It is a water-based degreaser. Although the area was very clean, I wanted to make sure I did everything right. I read all the directions in the box and on the container labels several times. The Marine Clean directions actually recommended it for degreasing “painted surfaces”. So, since it was water based and recommended for painted surfaces, I got out a new toothbrush, made up a small mixture of Marine Clean and hot water using their recommended 1:1 ratio and started scrubbing the area to be coated with POR-15. After the first scrubbing I rinsed it with fresh water and I could not believe my eyes. The cleaner had bleached the blue paint everywhere it touched it. I had about a 5/8 light blue area around the rusted tail light area and everywhere it ran down the paint, it bleached it a lighter blue as well. I immediately grabbed the hose and flushed the entire fender. I have to admit I was frantic, and real men are not supposed to get frantic. I made sure it was complete flushed of degreaser and then dried it with a towel. The paint was a mess. So, I cooled off, dried the fender well, blew it all out and down with an air hose and then decided to see if I could save it. I tried scratch remover and a number of other polishing compounds, all of which were meant to just polish. Some were for use on clear coats. I used a cotton towel and my fingers. Where the degreaser had not been on heavy, the damage was not that deep. Where it had lingered in quantity, like adjacent to the rusted area, the damage was very deep into the paint. I spent the next 2 or more hours carefully polishing the paint until most of the damage was gone. I went thru the paint to the primer in one area because it had eaten so deeply into the paint. Needless to say, I’m not happy. Sick is maybe a better term. But it’s over and there is nothing I can do about it at this point to make it better again.

Another thing I noticed was because I was using a toothbrush, everywhere the stuff spattered it left small baby blue spots. So the main portion of the fender had to be rubbed out, too. That damage was not as deep and I polished it all out.

I’m calling POR-15 tomorrow and letting them know what their degreaser did to my paint. I’m not sure how far I will take this yet. Keep in mind that this paint had not been polished to death like so many other old bikes. Most of the original orange peel was still there.

I don’t want anyone else to go thru this. DO NOT USE POR-15 MARINE CLEAN ON ANY PAINT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE. It may not hurt modern urethanes, but it will damage vintage Harley paint and I would have to assume other vintage bike and car paint. Please let everyone know about this. I’m not trying to hurt POR-15 or take revenge on them. That would be pointless. My intention here is to save somebody else from going thru this.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I had to vent. I would suggest that a shorter version of this be made a sticky in the paint section. I'd be glad to edit this for that purpose if the moderator would like.

Regards,
    Rob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Snakeoil; 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM. Reason: Attach photos
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Super sorry to hear about the mishap Rob. I can only imagine how disheartened you were to see that happen. Looks like you've got a war story to share around the campfire now for sure........
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Appreciate the sentiment, Cory. It could have been a lot worse. I'm upset that I went thru the paint in one spot. Probably should have left the stain in that area, but you just don't know until it's too late.

I wish somebody had taken my picture when I first noticed it. I'm sure my face had a priceless expression on it. I'm actually very pleased with my composure. I simply got passed the issue and dove into seeing if I could fix it. I did not want to wait because my concern was the stuff, although washed off the surface was still eating into the paint.

It will be interesting to see how POR-15 HQ responds to this issue.

regards,
      Rob
      Regards,
      Rob Sigond
      AMCA # 1811

Comment

I truely feel for you ! I am awaiting thier answer to this also. Paps

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the heads up Cory and sorry about the bike. Man that was close. Looks like you noticed in time to correct it for the most part. Like to see what the manufacturer says. Probably something like they can't make any claim or guarantee when it comes to antique finishes even though they lead you to beleive it would be fine.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

here is what they will say sorry por 15 did not work for you we make no claims that it is safe for paint from 1947 we recommend you first try it on an underside of your part to be cleansed and here is a 25% off coupon for your next purchase .now after all that lets hope it's in english
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
              here is what they will say sorry por 15 did not work for you we make no claims that it is safe for paint from 1947 we recommend you first try it on an underside of your part to be cleansed and here is a 25% off coupon for your next purchase .now after all that lets hope it's in english
              Was there any disclamer that the cleaner coud damage paint in any way?
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

First, thanks again for the sentiments.

I called POR, actually the company is RESTO-MOTIVE, and got the same guy I always have gotten when I call their 800 number. He is well trained to not make any incriminating statements. First thing he did after I described the problem was put me on hold. When he came back I realized he was reading all the literature they publish looking for a the weasel words that would get them out of it. But there are none. On their product info sheet they actually contradict themselves by saying there are no cautic chemicals and then later on the same page saying this is a powerful caustic solution. The fatal statement is right on the label that says it can be used to degrease "painted surfaces". How'd you like to use it to get some grease off the back end of your original JD and sprayed the bike down thinking you could hose it off? Just the thought make me sick.

Anyway, the RM phone guy tried to weasel out by saying that I shoul have diluted it more. He kept asking me what papers came with the product. When I told him I got it with the Super Starter Kit, which is 3 products combined in a box, he said "OH!" and stopped asking. I may have hit on something here. I read the sheet of paper that comes with it and there is nothing about risk of damaging paint.

He was fishing for what I wanted from them. I kept making it clear that this was an original paint bike and original paint only happens once. I told him original paint is about half the value of the bike. I sent him the pictures and never heard back from him. Did not expect to. I'm sure they are hoping I'll just go away.

You know, if they just made an effort, I probably would not be as annoyed as I am. I normally let stuff go once I blow. But I know the game. Put the ball in my court. Well without going into details my cousin one of those attorneys they call a "big gun". And family gets to shoot for free.

Not sure how I'll pursue this. It will be a hard thing to quantify.

In the meantime, warn all your friends. I'm not asking anyone to badmouth the products or the company. I'm just saying they should be aware that the little bottle of soapy degreaser in the Super Starter Kit call Marine Clean is dangerous to vintage Harley paint and possible other finishes.
                regards,
                Rob
                Regards,
                Rob Sigond
                AMCA # 1811

Comment

I am late a long time to this thread, but review of their MSDS shows the product makes use of Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether which means the Monobutyl is what caused the coating damage.

this type of cleaner is designed to etch metal and in no way should be used as a degreasing compound over painted, fiberglass, aluminum, galvanized or stainless steel surfaces. It is designed to etch where ferrous oxide is present and is highly active as you had seen with your coated fender.

If they do not have a disclaimer such as "do not use on painted surfaces" there is a liability issue there.

Butyl is a nasty product on paint! The ether they list I believe is actually an esther which also can accelerate chemical activity and if the chemicals are applied to where reactivity can occur, it does not take long to cause damage.

here is a link to their MSDS:

http://www.por15info.com/msds/MarineCleanMSDS.pdf

Comment

The only problem I have with POR-15 itself,
                    is that it softens and expands in my local fuel, until it wrinkles and sloughs off!

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Not only the above, POR-15 will kill you in your tracks if not properly ventilated. Sounds like a good product to avoid for several reasons IMHO.
                      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Working...
                      X