Rubber Band Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Band Installation

After doing my yearly intake manifold pressure test this weekend, I discovered I’m going to need to replace the rubber bands on my S&S manifold. I’m a virgin to this job so I have a few questions before I start.

1)-Any preference to which brand rubber bands are best?
    2)-Which type clamps work best?
    3)-Any tips for a easy installation? It took quite a yank to remove the manifold from the engine so I'm thinking putting it back on will be even tougher.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Don't know what brands are available but stock H-D works for me on the bands. A little silicone spray on the rubbers and a good hard shove should do it. Don't use vasaline or other petroleum based lubes, it will cause them to dry rot and fail alot quicker. I only use the stainless steel aircraft type band clamps for o-ring and rubber band intakes that I intend to run hard.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

S&S Bands and Clamps

Comment

To install, just roll the o-rings onto the manifold as far as they will go, hold the manifold in place and then "pop" the o-rings into place. To remove, reverse the process- rolling the o-rings onto the manifold, the manifold will lift right out. If you are removing old o-rings that you will not re-use, just cut 'em. Have your carb and support bracket in place before you tighten the o-ring clamps.
        Doug.
        Doug McLaughlin #6607
        NorCal, USA

Comment

Now that I have installed the new rubber bands and clamps on a S&S manifold mounted to an old panhead, I would have to say that the next time these wear out I’m just going to remove the heads and do it the easy way. Boy that was no fun but everything sealed up great on the first try so I got that going for me. Thanks for the help guys.
          Attached Files
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
          X