Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Panthers out there?

Hellooooooo [insert: echo]...
    They're not Traubs, but sometimes it feels like it. I wonder if there are any other owners in North America that have been smitten (or inflicted...not sure which) by the last of P&M's two-wheeled mastedon.
    I'm occassionally finding myself standing alone in frozen fields muttering in my beard. The next step is to hand-print a face on a volleyball and name it "Wilson".
    Cheers (kind of has the same effect as one hand clapping
    -Galen

I bought a 120 "big pussy" in Scotland circa 1973. It had an original Panther sidecar which was too cool as it only had 2 connectors! I have never seen another bike other than a Vespa scooter with only 2 connections. It also had a sidecar brake operated by a twinned pedal right next to the rear brake pedal so your could operate both or either at your discretion. The sidecar body had been removed as a previous owner had used it as transport for his motocross bike. I also used it to transport a WD Norton to Leicester from Dumfries Scotland and a Rudge sports special from Tenterden Kent to Picket Post near Ringwood. A fellow 120 owner cajoled me into selling the rare sidecar to him for 5 quid before I shipped the bike back to Canada . Years later I sold the bike to Dan Akyroyd's buddy Dave Benoit and I am sure he still has it. Last I heard he was in New Orleans. They are great bikes, of course my big mistake was letting that rare sidehack go! I rode the bike solo from Hampshire to Scotland in one day at the age of 23 and had the first back pains ever! Cheers, Barry

Comment

A great "barn fresh" Panther used to show up at some of our western rides and meets. It had real character and the guy rode it like there was no tomorrow. Last I heard he had it tore down for a rebuild. Super cool bike for sure! Somewhere I should have a picture of it...
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Wow! there be two, at least! It seems the more natural route west over the big pond was through Canada. My M120 came to Vancouver, BC in the late 70's after doing sidehack duty for most of its UK life. There was evidently a west coast US distributor (York Cycle?) in California but I'm sure they weren't exactly flying off the showroom in the early 60's!
        Double-Cheers!

Comment

I recall someone was selling them out of Chicago. I'll see if I can dig something up. I think Pink motors in New York also sold them . I had a friend who had a New Old Stock 1949 model with then Oleomatic fork. I rode it when it had only a thousand miles . It rode like a dream. Phelon and Moore was a very interesting company and not afraid to innovate in the early years, witness the "Panthette" vee twin across the frame, tiny leaf springs for the valves etc. !

Comment

I knew I had a couple pics......

This one is my all time favorite Panther that I mentioned previously. The other machine was at a motorcycle display at the Reynold's Museum in Wetaskawin, AB about a dozen or so years ago. A lot of bikes were loaned from all across the country for this exhibit. I can't remember where this one came from though...........

Come to think of it now, I can also remember a big sloper motor sitting in the now defunct Central British Cycle in Calgary, AB.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Ah, great shots! That old war horse surely looks the business. I'm told P&M settled on the lower sidecare gearing as standard for the final run of M120s (1959-1966-ish) as 9-out-of-10 were sold as hacks. Thankfully the Panther owners club (POC) has one of the best spares schemes to be found with any single-marque club and have solo gearing readily available (mine is set up this way). It is so much fun to retard the idle back where one can count the explosions hapenning .
              Thanks for sharing!
              -Galen

Comment

There were a lot of these running around a few years ago.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

No problem Galen..........glad you enjoyed them. It was kind of nice to ponder over the Panther again. I had almost forgotten about these machines! I don't suppose you have a picture of yours lying around do you?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    There were a lot of these running around a few years ago.
                    Ah yes, but those weren't P&M products. They had a reputation of kicking back violently and not running. However, they did enjoy a dedicated, if militant, following.
                    -Galen

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      I don't suppose you have a picture of yours lying around do you?
                      Funny you should ask...why, here are a couple now:
                      Attached Files

Comment

I got a buddy that has a few down south...here's some pics, check out the chopper!
                        Attached Files
                        Louie
                        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Great Scot! There are a few kickin' around. I really like the lil' red un. And, I don't know why, but that springer front end on the 'chopper' actually sort of works (!)...kinda cool!
                          Thanks-
                          -Galen

Comment

Very cool pics! Gotta love the angle on those motors!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

There is a guy I just met at the annual CVMG rally in Paris Ontario who used to work for Panthers. Had some interesting stories. His name is George Beaumont. Join the CVMG to find out more. !

Comment

Working...
                              X