Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing my tune...moving to Black (codes?))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing my tune...moving to Black (codes?))

After exploring Hi-Fi Blue, and dealing with all I dealt with, and only thinking I wanted it becasue the bike happened to be some shade of (maybe Hi-Fi) when I bought it. But now, after frustration consumed me and common sense took over... I would like to do Black and (Birch) White. How strick are the judges on the "right" black...and white, for that matter...and does anyone have ppg, dupont or other color numbers (base/clear) for a "correct" black and/or Birch White??

Thanks! and no, my painter does not want to get in the middle of me buying paint from New Hampshire and him laying it down and if it ain't right, all the finger pointing that would ensue....

So, if I can appropriate color numbers for a black and birch white, I'm in business!

thanks to any and all for assistance....i'm fighting the clock (calendar) for spring!!

66 FLH
    Steve

check here

http://freewebs.com/colorwrite/colors.html
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

sorry dude...been there....my painter does not want to be "in the middle" of him doing the painting and someone else supplying the paint. Wish I had a nice, good tank or fender to take in and do a color match, but alas...
      Pierce offers a GREAT and needed service...I am just trying to use a good local guy and need a color name or number to move forward.

Comment

Did you contact your local Dupont dealer? They can't match there own #? Hi-Fi blue baking enamel Y797-6692. The first number is the silver base and the second would be he candy. Would think dupont could match there own stuff.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I just went through this with a DuPont Centari formula that I had for Excelsior green. They can't make Centari formulas now because their new Chroma line has different color numbers. I had to have the color custom mixed, and a new formulate chart created for the new paint.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

What a crock of sh** .... I took the codes for dupont (old formulas) right out of the "legend begins" book and the local dupont guys can't even match it... how the hell am I supposed to paint a goddam bike plain old black and white in colors true enough for restoration without ordering some frikkin special mix paint from the east coast..
            why is this so goddam hard?

Comment

Well I guess if this was an easy game everyone would be playing. I am totally with you on the Dupont thing. I can't believe they can't match their own products. They have a huge reference library on antique auto finishes, they list colors for bicycles and jet skis but not a thing on motorcycles???
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

This whole paint number thing sucks. It took me months just to get the code for vivid black for my 06. Everybody being protective. No body wants to help you. Nore does anybody give a crap about helping you. For the most part PPG can mix all those Dupont colors if ya got the code. Wrong! They don't care ether. I shore wish I could run my bisness like that.
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

What has happened?? This wasn't this hard 10 or 15 years ago. The last time I bought Hi-fi Blue I called the dealer, got the code, went to a local vendor which was PPG and bought paint. Those numbers are DDL33943 for the silver base coat and DDL16021 for the candy blue. That is off the cans on my shelf and I'll bet those numbers are now also no good. These cans were bought in about 93. The formula for the candy blue is
                  DMX216 BLUE- 27.0
                  DMA311 WHITE- 2.0
                  DMX215 VIOLET- 35.0
                  DCA468 CLEAR- 953.0
                  If that makes any sense to anyone. I'll call the vendor I bought this from tomorrow and see what they say.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Why do you people whine so damned much? Buy the correct paint from John Pierce and be done with it. Of course your local dealer can't do your color .**** changes throughout the years. You people will pay $1000-00 for a damned dash board but balk at paying for correct paint==.

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
                      Why do you people whine so damned much? Buy the correct paint from John Pierce and be done with it. Of course your local dealer can't do your color .**** changes throughout the years. You people will pay $1000-00 for a damned dash board but balk at paying for correct paint==.
                      Always nice to hear from you again Michael

Comment

Dude, got no problem buying the paint from Pierce and everything I've read says he has a "stand up" reputation. The painters that I have been referred to (and it may not be this way everywhere) do not want to "get in the middle" and deal with fingerpointing if the paint job aint' right. I get their issue..and whether I like it or not, it is what it is. Certainly ain't the cost of paint keeping me away!!

Comment

With all due respect to your choice of painters, I think you should find someone else to paint your bike. If you accept responsibility for the color, why should a painter care what color it is ?
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                            What has happened?? This wasn't this hard 10 or 15 years ago. The last time I bought Hi-fi Blue I called the dealer, got the code, went to a local vendor which was PPG and bought paint. Those numbers are DDL33943 for the silver base coat and DDL16021 for the candy blue. That is off the cans on my shelf and I'll bet those numbers are now also no good. These cans were bought in about 93. The formula for the candy blue is
                            DMX216 BLUE- 27.0
                            DMA311 WHITE- 2.0
                            DMX215 VIOLET- 35.0
                            DCA468 CLEAR- 953.0
                            If that makes any sense to anyone. I'll call the vendor I bought this from tomorrow and see what they say.

Hey Brian - who was the PPG supplier you used? The one in York? Just curious. Looking to find contact/info for the PPG place that is right near the York HD plant.
                            Last edited by rbenash; 02-24-2009, 12:17 PM.
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

It was Nicholas paint in Hummelstown, outside Harrisburg. Spoke to them, obsolete toners.....I'm not licensed to buy lacquer paint.....blah blah. Tried contacting PPG direct, well see what they have to say. I have no problem paying for quality materials, but as always I want to make sure I don't overpay. With haz-mat fees and all that, ordering would almost always be more expense than purchasing local. After all it's the local guys who put money in my wallet so I'll support them anytime I can.
                              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                              X