Push start with dead battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push start with dead battery?

I'm reading all the posts about 6V batteries going dead ,having to trickle charge them when parked,and their short life.I never remember this problem in the 70's. Maybe the batteries were better,or I was lucky.
    I'm planning to ride the bike I'm building ,(59 pan) and wondering if I have battery problems a thousand or so miles from home ,can I push start the bike ,(hopefully I will be on a hill ,lol ) .Or wouldn't a push create enough spark to activate the coil??
    Neil

My 6v battery is going on 4 yrs old without any problems. Your bike won't push start with a dead battery. Doesn't make any differance 6v or 12v. Push starting does not create electricity. Now if you have a magneto, thats a differant story.

Neil, Keep the 6v system unless you think you'll be doing a good bit of night riding. Then 12v is the way to go.
    Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Thanks , I am planning on keeping the 6V.
      What make of 6V battery do you have?
      Neil

Comment

Push start with dead battery

You should be able to start it with a 6 volt flashlight battery. I ran my Indian 4 with a lantern battery on short trips years ago before I rebuilt it. Now on long trips I always carry a 6 volt lantern, not just for an emergency after dark but as a source of electricity for the ignition system in case the battery or generator fails (have never had to use it). Tom Wilcock AMCA # 381

Comment

Beware that attempting to charge a dead battery with an H-D generator risks overheating the armature.

Batteries are cheaper than armatures, so please do not wait for them both to fail.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by neilw View Post
            Thanks , I am planning on keeping the 6V.
            What make of 6V battery do you have?
            Neil
            Believe it or not, just go to your local H/D dealership and tell them you need a 6v battery. Plan on spending about a hundred bucks. Then go somewhere else and get yourself a 6v battery tender and have peace of mind.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

Howdy Neil,

A healthy/properly rebuilt generator (for Indian types, it means a two brush conversion) fitted with an electronic regulator opens the door for you to the latest AGM technology but still in 6 volts as many applications (kid's toy cars) use 6v's in series rather than a 12v or mutiples wired in parallel.

My oldest HD's are two contankerous old shovels, but don't Pan's have the battery nested in/surrounded by the oil tank? This gives you plenty of options for concealing one/several stacked on each other, I might start out with PowerSonic, they have all the dimensions for their products at their site.

These batteries not only have more energy density than lead acids or gels but loose far less charge when stored for long periods.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Hi, New guy here. I saw something in one of the older WLA manuals about disconnecting the battery and it would allow a push start. The generator had to get over a certain rpm to produce enough power to start the bike, and then battery had to be hooked up immediatly to prevent generator damage. I will try to find the info and post exact details. Sure liked the lantern battery for backup idea.
                LF

Comment

Working...
                X