Brough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brough

If one were not already a Brough fan this clip could possibly convince you. Pretty impressive machine!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=806181
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Great stuff Cory. Thanks for sharing it.
    Where there even any roads back in the 30's which could support 100mph? The guys back then had to be nuts.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it. I find if you check Jay's site every once in awhile that you can find some pretty interesting stuff.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Here's mine Cory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgw6-dxtyE

not sure how to link it

Comment

Barry that was awesome! That clip sort of reminds me of when you fired up the Koslow and showed Fred, Tom and I what it would do. Seems to me you couldn't pull it out of second on that road of yours!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

here's the Koslow
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vERFD...e=channel_page

Comment

Cool Thanks!!! Have you seen what it'll really do?
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

no, it's been on the back burner as I have several bikes with engines apart that have higher priority. i still don't have the dual carbs dialed in 100% on the koslow and want to approach it when it is insured and licensed to do that. unfortunately we all don't have leno's budget or climate , what are YOU working on?

Comment

You see Barry, I always ask what your up to because I find it far more interesting than what I'm up to!

Well you asked........ it's not too exciting but my 45 will be on the road when the snow melts. I've got to yank off the tall bars and risers. They are complete junk and not safe. I've got an orginal set to put on instead. I've got most of the major work finished and it's just some basic stuff now. It ain't all original, but it'll do for a rider. The Scout has become an ongoing..albeit slow moving project. The motor and tranny are rebuilt and ready to drop in. But I still need a few parts before I get serious about putting it together. That's it in a nutshell....... See what I mean...... none to exciting!

Oh, and just for giggles here's my little Beezer that I've been pounding up and down the highway for a dozen years!!! It ain't right but it gets me from here to there and most times back!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, it's been my experience that when I see what other people have, I start thinking that it's something I want to have. For many rich and ordinary collectors, it's the joy of the hunt and when you have bagged your prize the boredom sets in. Then it's back to the joy of the hunt. Old motorcycles are like sex, beauty, or dieting. . . . It's all in the head. I think as long as we're not satisfied with what we have, the hobby stays exciting and stimulating.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Well said Eric..... I totally agree!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

It's funny Eric how your comments always cause me to put on my thinkin' cap. Your observations I believe are right on, especially for those of us who truly love these old machines. I got the motorcycle bug very young in life and it's held strong and true to this day. When I was a youngster I always wanted a big ol' Harley. That is until one day while perusing the magazine rack. A cover jumped out at me that changed my life. It had a bunch of guys surrounded by Indian motorcycles. They were standing in a driveway in the Vancouver, B.C. area. I was hooked! At 12 years old I knew that I had to have one of those machines some day. Fast forward about 20 years and various H-D's and Brit bikes later I finally stumbled upon an Indian almost right in my backyard. I was riding through a town north of me on a '69 BSA Lightning. It was one of those shiney red and chrome tank machines. Well at a pit stop a fella approached me and we got to talkin' and he mentioned he had a couple Indians at home and I could come over for a look if I liked. Well I didn't need any more convincing and when we got to his shop he had a '17 Powerplus and a '41 Sport Scout project sitting in the corner. Well after a long winded visit like we motorcycle folks tend to have I mentioned that if he ever wanted to sell his Powerplus to give me a call. He looked at me kind of funny and said "wouldn't you be interested in the Scout?" Well it turned out that his father had a BSA like mine years ago and for nostalgia reasons he decided he had to have my bike! Again, I couldn't believe this was happening and after a trade and a few extra bucks I had my Indian. The rush I had coming home with it in the back of my pickup can only be understood by fellow bike enthusiasts. I don't think there's much that compares to that feeling.

The only thing I can look back on and kick myself for is not joining this club much earlier. For some reason I was under the impression you needed an antique bike to join. Well after I did finally join up I realized that I had indeed missed the boat. Especially looking back at what bikes were worth even 10 to 15 years ago compared to now. That my friends was my mistake. For those of you who caught the wave in time my hat is off to you. I do believe there are still bikes out there to be found, it's just a little more of a challenge now that's all! But like you said Eric the hunt is a big part of it and my list of dream bikes is long! If I can even accumulate a portion of them in my lifetime I'll be happy. I mean what would I daydream about if I already had a belt-drive Harley? Whew this thread really got away from Broughs didn't it and.......long winded aren't I?
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

For a lot of people the Brough is a dream bike. It's not for me, but that's what makes this world interesting. Peter's Vincent got my blood boiling but I'm of average means and that bike is way out of my league. You mentioned a 1917 Powerplus. That and an early Henderson Deluxe are on the top of my list and those are bikes that you can still find in basket case form. Trading has been the means for me to get interesting bikes but it seems to be harder to find people to trade with. I think the new generation of old motorcycle collectors have tons of money and want to keep every bike they get. However, you can't tell what's around the corner. You can't count on luck but it's always a big factor in this hobby.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

The Powerplus I mentioned had a pretty cool story behind it. The fella found the frame, fork and handlebars about 40 miles north of me. He was cruising around the backwoods near some old homesteads and spotted it partially buried in an old dried up mudhole. He brought it home, cleaned it up and started gathering parts. He's currently I believe minus a tranny and fuel tank. I know where a tranny is sitting for it, but the fella is hanging on tight and won't let it go. I agree too that trading is the way to go, that is if you got something good to trade. I still can't believe that someone wanted to trade an Indian for a BSA, but you just never know... I still have my name on that Powerplus if the guy ever wants to sell it. Who knows Eric, maybe we can make a trade if it ever ends up in my hands!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Keep me in mind Cory.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X