Engine/Tranny Case Sealant? Gasoila?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine/Tranny Case Sealant? Gasoila?

I am getting ready to put my Panhead motor back together and wondered what to use on the inside of the engine and tranny cases as a sealant.

I was told to use Gasoila Hard-Set red varnish sealant. I was going to pick up some tomorrow but thought I would ask you guys first. What is your experience, if any, with using this?

I did search the forum for gasoila and only three hits came up, I know that Cotton stated gasoila isn't good for carb floats due to fuel, but does this apply to the cases considering it sees mostly oil?

Thanks,

Josh
    Josh Richardson
    1948 EL Panhead
    www.GrandpasHarley.com

I did this with the gasolia back in 2001. worked great.
    Attached Files

Comment

Glyptal is superior to Gasoila by far, but it must be pointed out that any contamination with modern digestive fuels can take either of them out. They do NOT resist P4gas.

This is especially of concern to owners of H-D OHV's with leaky petcocks.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I got six years out of Yamabond4 as a sealer for between the cases.

Not bad, if only it was a Yamaha.

H-D's (-80 OEM number) 3M #800 Industrial Sealer does much, much better, but it's ugly.

Neither are appropriate for sealing the inside surfaces, encapsulating abrasives, etc.
        I have only found some epoxies and isocyanate urethane to survive fuel contamination.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Nordbak industrial epoxy from Loctite will stand up to almost anything. It is expensive though, about $250 for a small kit that would do a few sets of cases.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I use a product from the electric motor repair shops, it is called Dolph ER44 poleurethane sealer. It comes in a large spray can and a little goes a long ways, been using it for well over 20 years.
            Carl
            http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Carl...after opening cases, which you used this product on, for an over haul, are you stating, the sealer held up and did not flake off anywhere ? Thanks, Paps

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Glyptal is superior to Gasoila by far, but it must be pointed out that any contamination with modern digestive fuels can take either of them out. They do NOT resist P4gas.

This is especially of concern to owners of H-D OHV's with leaky petcocks.

....Cotten
                willardsmarts: Make sure you dont breath in the Glyptal great inside cases but bad inside Us. Jeff willardsmarts AMCA 9583
                WillardSmarts H-D Parts $ Sale
                Ogden Utah. Jeff & Claudia AMCA 9583
                (801)920-9574

Comment

I have decided to go with the Glyptal, looks to be a bit better then the Gasoila, even though they both are not perfect.

I found the cheapest price for Glyptal to be $38.99/quart from Caswell, Ebay and Eastwood sell it for $49.99/quart. I never really dug into the electrical supply companies, so it may be found cheaper yet.
                  http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/glyptal.html

If you want to use the Gasoila, then V-Twin sells a 1/4 pint for an overcharged price of $36.31, or you can save money and buy it for $15.29 or better yet buy 1 pint for $34.16 from JME
                  http://www.jmesales.com This was local, so I ended my search with that.

As for the Dolph ER44 I only found their website, but didn't find any pricing.
                  http://www.dolphs.com/

I really hope this info helps someone when faced with a similar question.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Josh
                  Josh Richardson
                  1948 EL Panhead
                  www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpasHarley View Post
                    I have decided to go with the Glyptal, looks to be a bit better then the Gasoila, even though they both are not perfect.

I found the cheapest price for Glyptal to be $38.99/quart from Caswell, Ebay and Eastwood sell it for $49.99/quart. I never really dug into the electrical supply companies, so it may be found cheaper yet.
                    http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/glyptal.html

If you want to use the Gasoila, then V-Twin sells a 1/4 pint for an overcharged price of $36.31, or you can save money and buy it for $15.29 or better yet buy 1 pint for $34.16 from JME
                    http://www.jmesales.com This was local, so I ended my search with that.

As for the Dolph ER44 I only found their website, but didn't find any pricing.
                    http://www.dolphs.com/

I really hope this info helps someone when faced with a similar question.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Josh
                    Hi I got on the phone to 1411 and the co give me a dealer that was was in Salt Lake City, Utah. I got two spary cans for about $18.00 each, One I gave to a good friend. And have used the other on 5 or 6 Bikes and it is about 1/2 full still. The Can has no it Glyptal 1201-A Red Insulating Enamel 12. 75 ozs. Glpyptal Inc. CHELSEA,MA 02150. Hope this helps willardsmarts h-d parts $ sales Jeff/Claudia AMCA 9583
                    WillardSmarts H-D Parts $ Sale
                    Ogden Utah. Jeff & Claudia AMCA 9583
                    (801)920-9574

Comment

ER44

Carl, is there any difference in ER44 and Dolph's ER-41 Polyurethane red insulator?
                      Barry E Porter

Comment

I've been using Glyptal for about 10 years, prior to that I used Gasoila. Both work well, but I like the Glyptcal much better. AS fopr the Gasoila, you must be absoluiteoy certain that ALL the oil is out of the casting before you apply it or the Gasoila will peal off. in small sheets.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Okay I am finally ready to seal my engine and transmission cases using Glyptal.

Reading the can it says an appropriate brush is needed to apply... but it doesn't say what is considered to be an appropriate brush????

It also says that when possible the coating should be baked for 2 hours at 125F. Is it necessary to do this?

I don't want to cut any corners on this so I am asking those who are far me experienced then I to lend in your advice.

Thanks,

Josh Richardson
                          Josh Richardson
                          1948 EL Panhead
                          www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

Josh keep in mind a Harley tranny has no pressure due to the fact that it’s vented. You’re not working with the Columbia’s booster o rings here. What ever your choice of indestructible sealant your going to use there are certain guidelines to be followed. First is mating surface preparation. I use a white cotton cloth with lacquer thinner (Do not use paint thinner or others like it because they leave residue). I wipe those surfaces until that cloth remains white and the pores of the surface are oil free. Guaranteed no leak pans. Second is the amount of sealant. Lets keep in mind that the stuff your about to use is just that. Indestructible! Any extra than is needed could end up braking off inside and end up in a very important spot like an oil passage. Twenty years ago I came up with a simple way of dealing with this. I live out of a clip board. I save the cardboard backings. I apply sealant to one side of the gasket and smear it out against the card board and the other side the same way. This leaves the gasket surface saturated with no excess. Hope this helps. Bob L
                            Last edited by Robert Luland; 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM.
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Sorry I miss read the post. Hope ya can still use the info. Bob L
                              AMCA #3149
                              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                              X