Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Fi Blue??

I'm stuck...
    Restoring a '66 FLH and want to paint it with Base/Clearcoat Hi-Fi Blue with Birch White Inserts.

I bought Jim Hansen's HD paint and color reference manual and it gives me these PPG color numbers:

Hi Fi Blue Base 34471 Top 16021
    Birch White (tank panel insert) 90303

I've been to several paint shops (not body shops, paint shops) and the Oldest PPG dealer in the city. Everyone looks at me like I'm stupid!!
    I've even traded emails with the Jim (who created the book) and he could not help further than what he had already written.

I then went online and found "HD color numbers" 9860-BG (Hi Fi Blue) and 9860-AV (Birch White). The best I've been able to do is find one PPG dealer who recognized one of the numbers as a lacquer and said he could spray the lacqure on a test sheet, then analyze the test sheet to convert to it's base/clear counterpart.

This should not be this tough... What the hell am I missing? Can anyone give me a Dupont (preferred) or PPG current color # for a basecoat/clearlcoat HiFi Blue and Birch White? I've expended days on this so far...and I'm pulling out my hair (and my painter is ready). I didn't do this crap in advance, because I thought I had valid current codes and my painter would just grab them and spray!

Thanks everyone in advance... if you don't know the answer but know where I can get the answer, or even who sells the paint, point me there, please!!

OldHog66
    Steve

Hi-Fy colors were a candy apple laquar or enamel (I'm to old to remember) shot over a aluminum under coat. Why PPG or Dupont would have these item readly avalabe is beyond me. Check out Antique Motorcycle supply or do a Google search for Harley paint. Theres a guy John something in New Hampshire that has all the codes, Bob
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 02-11-2009, 08:55 PM.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Antique supply sells them as Laquer... I have a sample color from them. How the hell are you supposed to duplicate the color with modern paint processes?

Comment

Go to John Pierce Color Write. He has both of your colors in stock. He's the best in the business when it comes to correct paint for old motorcycles.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Sorry Steve. Didn't have the old rolladex in front of me last night. John Pierce 603-942-5610. There is a e-mail address on the card also schmoo@gis.net. Good ruk!
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks.. I traded emials wiht Pierce today. If my painter will take the risk of laying down paint that he didn't buy/mix, i'm golden! ... although really damn expensive!

Comment

Expensive, but good.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X