Tape vs. Paint pinstripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape vs. Paint pinstripes

I was looking at a 1970 Thunderbolt the other day that was in pretty nice and original condition. But it appeared to be repainted. No decals on the sidecovers and the white pinstriping on the tank where the painted top met the chromed sides was tape, no paint.

Did BSA use pinstriping tape? My '76 Bonnie has painted pinstripes. So I would expect a '70 BSA to use paint as well.

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

The 71 Bonneville I had (bought new) had painted striping if that means anything. I beleive in 71 BSA and Triumph were made in the same plant if I'm not mistaken.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

rbenash, BSA and Triumph were owned by the same holding group but were not built in the same plant. They did share some common bits like brake parts, forks,lights, etc, but Triumph was built in Meridan and BSA in Birmingham.
      Snakeoil, As far as the stripes go ALL BSA group products, including Triumph, had hand lined tanks, fenders and on some older models, rims. Tape was never used, they prided themselves on the quality of finish. On an '70s BSA which are not terribly desireable, the lack of factory finish would knock the price down considerably. Your Triumph is much more desirable, especially post lockout! Any oil in frame model of either make is not too sought after from '71 and '72. If you can get it cheap it will be a nice rider but not an investment.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
        rbenash, BSA and Triumph were owned by the same holding group but were not built in the same plant. They did share some common bits like brake parts, forks,lights, etc, but Triumph was built in Meridan and BSA in Birmingham.
        Snakeoil, As far as the stripes go ALL BSA group products, including Triumph, had hand lined tanks, fenders and on some older models, rims. Tape was never used, they prided themselves on the quality of finish. On an '70s BSA which are not terribly desireable, the lack of factory finish would knock the price down considerably. Your Triumph is much more desirable, especially post lockout! Any oil in frame model of either make is not too sought after from '71 and '72. If you can get it cheap it will be a nice rider but not an investment.
        Robbie
        Thanks Rub - I was aware of all that. I thought though towards the end they were actually built in the same plant (Meridan) and that the Brimingham plant was closed. Looks like that part of my recollection was incorrect.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

Thanks. I ended up passing on that BSA. I did some more research and the price was what a pristine Thunderbolt is worth and probably all that it will be ever worth. I have a soft spot for those bikes because I lusted over them when I was in high school. But then again, I lusted over anything with two wheels and a motor. I'll keep looking for either a better price or a better bike.
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

I believe that for 1971 and later, oil-in-frame models had frames built all in the same factory, both BSA and Triumph. The differences between BSA and Triumph oil-in-frame frames were minor, mainly the engine mounts.
            While on this subject: AMCA judging will count off for non-hand-lined pin stripes. The penalty will be worse for no pin stripes at all, but the stripes should duplicate the originals --- hand-striped.

Comment

Working...
            X