DAYTON wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAYTON wanted

Any Dayton V-twin part up to 1917 wanted, fenders, Fuel tank, Oil tank, (similar to Sears, Deluxe, Eagle or Crawford I expect) but especially wanted is a 3 speed transmission c. 1915 - 1917. Anything you have or know of that may be of use to me for my '16/'17 restoration, please let me know!

Many thanks

Michael Voice
    voicecad@gmail.com
    (+44) 7740 554277 - (UK)
    Michael Voice
    Membership Number 10556

Michael, I know this is really of no value to your request but I thought you might find it interesting none the less. If you haven't seen it already here it is..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Va7-OMRuw
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Dayton V-twins

Many thanks Cory...

I'm always happy for anything and any information on Dayton V-Twin motorcycles. There are unfortunately, not very common, which can make a restoration like mine... difficult, to say the least.

If anyone has a pic of a 3 speed transmission... I am really after this because I have stories of these floating around, but no way to know when I see one (without cutting it like the original cut-away pics from Dayton).

Had this bike in my project list for almost ten years now.... and really really want to get it on the road (without using a vintage Harley Trans).

Just need to really know what the Dayton trans looks like so I know it, can ID it, then life becomes so much easier to find the part required...

Cheers

Michael Voice

Mem. # 10556

Michael Voice
      Membership Number 10556

Comment

not sure where i got this pic from,looks like he needs a tranny too

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

heres a little unit i put together last year

Comment

Thanks Lonnie

Nice pic... but where is it now? This is the earlier 2 speed framed Dayton... same engine as my later model but a different frame on my one that has a platform to take the 3 speed transmission.

My only problem is that I don't know for sure what the original Dayton 3 speed transmission (1915 - 1917) looks like. 1917 was just the assembly of the last of the bikes as the competition was too strong and I suspect the 3 speed transmission gave lots of problems. These bikes in antipoedian countries often had the transmission/gearbox removed and were converted to a direct drive to the back wheel.... making them a 'run and jump' for starting them.

If anyone knows of an existing 3 speed Dayton, I'd love to see it when I am in USA at about the end of March... but have little more than one week there... not a lot of time to chase leads...

Cheers

Michael Voice
            Membership # 10556
            Mad Kiwi Antique Motorbike Nut
            Michael Voice
            Membership Number 10556

Comment

The first Dayton Pic

Hi Lonnie... I would seriously like to see the Dayton in the first pic you have here. This is a circa '15 - '16 model and has identical forks and I think maybe same frame to mine... although this frame looks similar... but not necessarily identical where the transmission goes.

2nd pic - Certainly looks like racing or hedstrom forks on the racer you had.

If you can find out where the first one is or who has it I would hope to get to see it when I come over at the end of March... even if it is also missing the 3 speed Trans, like mine is.

cheers

Michael Voice
              Membership # 10556
              Mad Kiwi Antique Motorbike Nut
              Michael Voice
              Membership Number 10556

Comment

dayton

hi michael, i just had this random picture hanging around.i believe it was at one time trying to be purchased by my uncle,but he did not buy it.i could be totally wrong but maybe the sublet brothers had it.it was along time ago.i have no idea where it would be now.or if they found the tranny for it.you might post a pic in the parking lot chatter ,someone might remember it.it obviously still exists.the fork on the racer was actually a correct sears fork.see you in march.

Comment

Hey Lonnie, re-reading this all I suddenly realised that the 'Dayton'project you once worked on... is not a Dayton at all. It is a Dayton petrol tank in a Sears racer! This explains the engine (no 'Dayton' on the crank casting) and the Sears forks.

Would love to know what happened to it as I'm sure the owner has probably picked up the correct Sears tank for it by now and may have a surplus Dayton tank that I desperately need for mine!

Please let me know all you can - its worth a try.

Michael

voicecad@gmail.com
                  Michael Voice
                  Membership Number 10556

Comment

Working...
                  X