Right-Hand shift knuckleheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-Hand shift knuckleheads

Thanks to Jerry Wieland who brought his cross-over linkage to Davenport, to chapter member Rory Clark who used those parts for his drawings and fabrication and to chapter member Bob Aton who accompanied Rory on the ride from North Carolina (Rory on a '47 UL and Bob on a '49 FL) to Davenport, I now have almost everything I need for a right-hand shift '47. Almost in that I need to copy the linkage that runs from the shifter lever to the cross-over.

I could assume that the linkage goes behind the air cleaner in some manner but it sure would be nice to see some photographs. Does anyone out there have photos that would be of benefit? Or better yet the actual rod itself that dimensions can be taken from?

Also, thanks to Dave Bustamonte for the NOS tank, lever and knucklehead nut and "Hippy" for the NOS shift gate.

Lonnie C.
    Last edited by Lonnie; 01-25-2009, 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling - as per the norm for me...
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Uhh.....anyone???
    Lonnie Campbell #9908

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Right Hand Shift Pic

Here You Go Lonnie
      Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful! For those who don't know the '47 used the same shift gate as that shown.

Thanks Dave!
        Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

What a great picture ! Is that a 1946 H-D ? I would love to have that set-up for my '48FL. That way I could go from Indian to Harley without having to think about how I'm getting out of the driveway.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

It would be interesting to see how the cross-over would work with one of the '66-up style frame-clamp hand shifters slightly modified to mount on the right-hand down tube and a ratchet top trans. Hmmmm.................
            Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-H...1%7C240%3A1318
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

[QUOTE=Lonnie;75387] Almost in that I need to copy the linkage that runs from the shifter lever to the cross-over.

LONNIE HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT ON THE LINKAGE ?
                DAVE

Comment

I have a NOS 24586-39 Knuck Nut shifter pivot.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Dave,

I haven't done a thing at this point - this working for a living ain't all it's made out to be. One thing, though, I know I'll have to have linkage that is slightly different from factory as the trans is raised 1". If things get out of hand I could use a 6" aircleaner to make up 1/2" but that is not a brain storm, more likely a brain drizzle.

Motor, trans, front end, front brakes done, most parkerizing. I have rechromed the knuckle nut/pivot but not installed on the motor, trans is in place. Really just need to get off me dear arse and set the motor and then see what I see. I have concerns with the belt drive length but cannot yet tell.

I'll be in Eustis but the bike won't. I am planning on making D'port - if I do hopefully I'll have the bike together and can lug it along. Really, the biggest thing is completing the right-hand mechanical brake - mostly there with the backing plate at the powdercoater. Then brake linkage.

Perhaps I'll ingest extra caffeine and make brake and shifter linkage out of coat hangers and then dupe in real material.

I used to say my pace is glacial but with global warming I believe glaciers are leaving me behind.

Lonnie
                    Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

Right Hand Shift Linkage

Lonnie
                      My Clutch Is Starting To Slip A Little, But I Knew I Had That Linkage. Give Me A Call When You Return. I'll Send It To You So You Can Copy It.
                      Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dave:
                        I sent you a PM - thanks - Lonnie
                        Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

Continuing on.........Help!

Thanks to Bnsons, I have fabricated the right-side long linkage piece from the tank lever to the bellcrank. Interestingly, I had to put a bow in the linkage in the opposite direction of the rod Bnsons sent in order to get it to line up properly. I used a rear brake rod, turned it down for the hook portion, and bent it up using the loaner as a model. That, plus the photo Bnsons also included in a previous post, has that side done except for it being a bit long where the rod end goes so that I can cut it to fit. I don't want any screw-ups there!

The last piece is the short rod from the bellcrank, mounted on the rear motor mount bolts, down to the shift arm on the jockey top. I had to flip that arm up, instead of down like a normal '47, to line up with the levers on the bellcrank cross-over shaft. Using a piece of a rear brake rod again, I again turned down and bent the hook, drilled for the cotter key, etc. Obviously I can cut and rethread the rod as required, but.....

It would be nice to have a photo of that side of the linkage so as to get a feel for what the angles of the crossover levers should be, which will help determine the overall length of that rod. So....my question, is....does anyone have such a photo?

Once I get all that done I can put all this in with the parts to be cad plated and get on with it.

Pre-paint assembly starts next week so I can be up and running for Davenport! Time is running short!!
                          Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

Working...
                          X