Old shed.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old shed.......

I posted this in the "old photos" thread a day or two ago and didn't even get a bite! So rather than let it go by the wayside, I figured I'd post it here............

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory
    could that be "THE" shed???
    keep posting thos old pictures, they are all great!!
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Look at the backgrounds in this pictures, the barrels, what looks like the roof line on the shed next door and the windows in the shed.
      Attached Files
      Mark Wang
      De Soto WI
      AMCA #2079

Comment

Mark I believe the picture you posted of the '08 Straptank was a fabbed promotional photo circa 1918. The shed had already been moved by then. Herb where are ya??? Glad your digging the pictures Kevin.......I'm hooked on digging them up!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

The Big Man has been taking up my time, along with cutting firewood.

I'm going by memory here, but I think this is correct as I did a caption for this photo in some article or book in the past and researched it then.

Yes, it is "the" shed in the Davidson family backyard in Milwaukee, sort of. That is, it's the later 2 additions that were added to the original backyard shed, less the original 10x15 ft. segment.

By the time this photo was taken, the original portion had been detatched and moved up the block to the Red Brick Factory where it remained for many decades as a token of the past and Harley-Davidson's beginnings. It was razed during a cleanup in the early 1970s.

Of the later additions to the shed seen in this photo, their ultimate fate is unknown. The Davidson home existed until relatively recent times (1960s-70s?) until Miller Brewery tore it down and built a office on that corner. I have always felt bad that an archeological dig wasn't conducted before the ground was tore up, etc. No doubt some early part or artifact would have turned up.

At least it's nice to think so....
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Herb.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Thanks for the clarification Herb.
              Look at the photo on p.91 of ATC. It shows the woodshed with ALL the additions still on it. You can see that it's wider and that something has been removed from the shed in the photo posted here. The original section was removed around 1918, so we can date this photo from that. I wonder what the year that vehicle is?
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
              X