1947 tail lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 tail lamp

Hi, I am in the process of restoring my '47 EL. I know that the tail lamp should be the early version with the license plate bracket held on with screws. However, I have seen two versions of this lamp. One has GUIDE R-H5 stamped just below the license plate bracket. Anyone know which one is correct?

I have a late model year 47 EL with an engine number in the 12000 range that is bone stock. I have close up photos of the tailight and the license bracket that I can send you if you PM me with an email address. Files are high res pics and too big to post here.

To answer your question, my tailight housing is stamped GUIDE R-H5. License bracket is held on with two straight slot flathead screws with steel locknuts. If this is the late version, then you might surmise that the other is the early version.
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Comment

Since 47 is the topic....anyone got an original solo seat for one ? Paps

Comment

Starhub,

The first production 1947-1954 tail light has the screwed on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the body just below license bracket (wording facing rearward on the motorcycle) . All of 1947 to mid/late 1948 use this lamp .

The second production 1947-1954 tail light has the screwed on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the license bracket (wording facing forward on the motorcycle) and not marked on the body. Mid/late 1948 use this lamp.

The third production 1947-1954 tail light has the riveted on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the license bracket (wording facing forward on the motorcycle) and not marked on the body. 1949-1957 use this lamp.

Another distinguishing factor, since rivets can be removed, the hole widths are different between lamp bodys with screwed on brackets and riveted on brackets. The hole distance, center-to-center, is 1-3/32" on 1947-1948 lamp bodies. The hole distance, center-to-center, is 27/32" on 1949-1954 lamp bodies.

Sorry Paps, no seat.
        Bruce Palmer III
        AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Starhub,

The first production 1947-1954 tail light has the screwed on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the body just below license bracket (wording facing rearward on the motorcycle) . All of 1947 to mid/late 1948 use this lamp .

The second production 1947-1954 tail light has the screwed on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the license bracket (wording facing forward on the motorcycle) and not marked on the body. Mid/late 1948 use this lamp.

The third production 1947-1954 tail light has the riveted on bracket and is marked GUIDE R-H5 on the license bracket (wording facing forward on the motorcycle) and not marked on the body. 1949-1957 use this lamp.

Another distinguishing factor, since rivets can be removed, the hole widths are different between lamp bodys with screwed on brackets and riveted on brackets. The hole distance, center-to-center, is 1-3/32" on 1947-1948 lamp bodies. The hole distance, center-to-center, is 27/32" on 1949-1954 lamp bodies.

Sorry Paps, no seat.
          Bruce Palmer III
          AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Thanks oldsouthmcy for the info. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, starhub

Comment

1950 "tombstone"

[QUOTE=oldsouthmcy;75802]

Does anyone have a good close-up pic or two that shows the rivits holding the license bracket, especially the rear view?
              Thanks, Doug.
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              NorCal, USA

Comment

Here's front and rear. not from same bike though. Rear is from a later 49 and the front with the AMCA badge is an early 52.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

That's the hard lens to find. That blue dot made it about worthless.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Rivits

Thanks Brian,
                    Thats just what I needed to see so I can make sure to use the right rivits.
                    Doug.
                    Doug McLaughlin #6607
                    NorCal, USA

Comment

Be VERY careful riviting on that pot metal tail lamp body.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I actually prefer Blue dots. I think they offer a margin of safety by getting drivers attention. They do make the lens more fragile, and most agree with Eric on the subject so they are usually a little less expensive. Although you are probably much better off these days buying a repop lens from Old Dude as that is what most people are pawning off as NOS anyway, your local optometrist should be able to polish off the "GUIDEX" script without any trouble ( now you know where all those NOS lenses on E-pay are being found). As for the rivets, Old Dude has them. One other thing I happened to think of, I believe the license plate strap was also marked " GUIDE RH-5" though it can't be seen in the pics.
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I didn't mean to sound so cynical about it Brian. Everyone has their own tastes and that should be respected. I am always looking for the lens without the Guidex branding so it's bitter to see one that has been altered. Chris makes a good point about using care in riveting the license brkt. to pot metal. I have 2, otherwise beautiful tail lights that are broken there. . . . Hey ! I didn't do it.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Hi. I have a couple of the 3rd type "riveted" models but the outside rivet heads on one of them is larger. They both have the number plate bracket with Guide R-H5 facing the fender and the rivet heads on both tail lights are the same on this side.
                            But the heads of the rivets directly above the clear licence plate lense are bigger on one of them.
                            One of mine looks like the one that bmh posted and the other has almost the same larger size rivet head back and front. It doesnt look like tinkering by some handyman.
                            Steve Little
                            Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                            Australia.
                            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Eric I have the tenance to beleave that might be a factory accserory. If the guy back then took the time to bore that lens with a dimond bit god bless him. Get real it's a fake. Bob
                              AMCA #3149
                              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                              X