Brough in Vegas.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brough in Vegas.....

Here's a little clip from the Vegas auction.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qzbRc9...eature=related
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Wow ! It failed to sell at $235,000. I must be missing something because I never thought a Brough was that good looking. As English bikes go, I think a Vincent is a much more interesting and attractive motorcycle. However, if you want the honest truth, I'd take a Harley, Henderson, Excelsior, Indian, Pope, Merkel, Pierce, Emblem, etc, etc, etc over a Brough any day of the week. I guess I'm just an ignorant colonial.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

You Are Not Alone !!!!

Comment

I can appreciate most old bikes, but if I had to be totally honest I'd have to agree with you fellas. I did figure that Barry might be interested though.....
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Wow ! It failed to sell at $235,000. I must be missing something because I never thought a Brough was that good looking. As English bikes go, I think a Vincent is a much more interesting and attractive motorcycle. However, if you want the honest truth, I'd take a Harley, Henderson, Excelsior, Indian, Pope, Merkel, Pierce, Emblem, etc, etc, etc over a Brough any day of the week. I guess I'm just an ignorant colonial.
          As I'd have a Brough over any of the above, not only for the "form follows function" aesthetics but for the performance and smooth ride over any of the manufacturers named above, I'm perhaps just an ignorant Englishman.

To use a cliche, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Comment

Duly noted Martin. The Brough has panache for whatever reason. So does the Crocker, and '36 Knuckle but don't ask me why. Both of those bikes have their shortcommings compared to the competition but they rose to the top of the list in monetary value. The collector's world is truly an stange and mysterious place.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I suspect that a Brough would not have fared all that well in America. Rough and tough colonials would have made short work of its sensitive side!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I find it funny that a debate can form from any ol' thread......... The way I look at is.... I like what I like and you can like what you like. Nuff said........besides if everybody was as obsessive about the early stuff as some of us it would mean less potential Merkels, Popes, Excelsiors, Hendersons, Indians or Silent Gray Fellows for the rest of us! (This is a real thing for me fellas as I'm still waiting to stumble upon my early machine...chuckle..chuckle..)
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                  I suspect that a Brough would not have fared all that well in America. Rough and tough colonials would have made short work of its sensitive side!
                  Robbie
                  Good point Robbie, George Brough did participate in long distance endurance trials in Europe in the mid 20's with SS 100's. Some of these events were in the Alps mountains in Switzerland and central europe which is where George Brough thought of the "Alpine Grand Sports" name he used for one specification of his bikes. I've seen pictures in the Harley Enthusiast from the 20's and 30's of the state of roads in the US which at the time were a bit more "agricultural" than in the UK or Europe, so you could be spot on that they wouldn't have lasted, and without a dealer network they would have needed to be transported back to the works in Nottingham UK for repairs.

Buying a Brough in the 30's could be a pretty personal business as the potential owner travelled to the Brough works in Nottingham to agree the specification and place the order for the bike and then once again to collect the bike. It would perhaps have been a trek to far to come over to the UK from the US when there was an American manufacturer's dealer in the next town.

Brough though are probably more famous for speed records at Brooklands and the World Record attempts of Eric Fernihough and friends in the early to mid 30's.

It would have been fascinating to see a Brough SS 100 "Pendine" or even "Pendalpine" pitched against some of the US board track racing bikes from in the mid to late 20's, would have settled the debate once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    I can appreciate most old bikes, but if I had to be totally honest I'd have to agree with you fellas. I did figure that Barry might be interested though.....

I find it funny that a debate can form from any ol' thread......... The way I look at is.... I like what I like and you can like what you like. Nuff said........besides if everybody was as obsessive about the early stuff as some of us it would mean less potential Merkels, Popes, Excelsiors, Hendersons, Indians or Silent Gray Fellows for the rest of us! (This is a real thing for me fellas as I'm still waiting to stumble upon my early machine...chuckle..chuckle..)
                    Cory....I think it was you who started the debate saying you didn't like Broughs LOL.

Its good to have a healthy debate though.

All the best and safe riding

Martin

Comment

Oh, contraire Martin........... I didn't say that I didn't like Broughs. I do have preferences but who doesn't? I'm more of a daydreamer that harkens back to a slower pace. A Brough doesn't fit into that category now does it? LOL...and yes a debate can be healthy.......

All the best right back to ya and I hope all is well across the pond!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

Comment

GEORGE BROUGH'S PERSONAL RIDE THE FIRST ALPINE GRAND SPORTS

Comment

FIRST BROUGH TO LAP BROOKLANDS AT OVER 100MPH MID TWENTIES. FIRED UP WITH ROLLERS ON METHANOL AT THE 50TH RALLY IN NOTTINGHAM LAST AUGUST

Comment

the oldest or second oldest Brough in existence. One family ownership since new and still ridden long distances!

Comment

Working...
                              X