Gasket Sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket Sealer

Hi , I am in the process of assembling a 1941 EL motor. I have been told to use Permatex #2 ( non nardening) between the cases.Is the the best stuff for the job? Also is gasket sealer really necessary on the oil pump gaskets and cam cover if there are no burrs or gouges on the mating parts. Thanks

You'll get alot of opinions on this one. I use Hylomar on all my paper gaskets. Not only does it help seal, it makes things easy to take apart down the road. And lets face it, at some point you're gonna need to take something back apart. In keeping with my less is more philosophy in my small shop I also use it to seal the case halves. As long as the flanges are in good order it works well and its one less thing to stock on a shelf. Of course if you want to be a purist I believe the Factory just used good ol pipe dope for the cases.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I have just started on my first engine, 23JDCA. I have used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket 3D because that is what I used between 1965 and 1975 when I was rebuilding air-cooled VW split-case alloy engines. These didn't use a paper gasket in there. ...bill in oregon
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I have used several of the gray, nonhardening types like Dreibond, Hondabond and Permatex Ultra Gray to put together the cases on my split case BMWs. I haven't had any problems with this and they seal well. "A little dab'll do ya."
        --Darryl Richman
        Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
        http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

I'm affraid to use permatex,YAMABOND,,on the cases..

Comment

Sputnik

Go with the Yamabond #4 I have used this for years problem free. Also use a RTV silicone sealer for the other gaskets. Just put a thin film on both sides of the gaskets. It also helps hold them in place during assembly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X