Oil Pump Block-off PLate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Block-off PLate

I'm rebuilding a '46 EL, and in the course of discussion with the engine rebuilder about the oil pump he said get new pressure gears (on order already) and try to find a block off plate to eliminate the oil governor. So I talked to one of the guys at one of the parts houses I go to and he says 'why do you want to do that'? I'm no expert on this stuff - I understand the oil governor restricts the flow of oil to the cylinder heads at higher RPM's - so I'm looking for input from those who know more than I do - is it a good idea or not to eliminate the oil governor with the block off plate? Any advantage? The replacement plate in question I believe would be a '48 plate, underneath the oil pump cover. Thanks for all inputs...

the original tin covers had vent holes in them. too much oil then they would leak out those vents. some guys used to plug them but if you are getting too much oil up there it will go down the valve guide. then it will build, posssibly sticking the valve. in 48 the panhead was a different design and could return more oil. when I built my 47 (back in 80) I used the original pump (rebuilt) and left my vents open. that bike is still running on my motor (I wish I still had it)

Comment

The governor is actually there to reduce oil flow at idle or low rpm. If it's in good shape I would just leave it alone. If your feed gears are undamaged there is no reason to replace them, give them a close inspection under a magnifying glass. Unless you have a source for NOS gears, you won't find replacements anywhere near the quality of what you have now.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
      X