40' Sport Scout Final assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40' Sport Scout Final assembly

Well I'm rounding the bend on the 40' sport scout restoration. I need a little generator lesson on the 40' sport scouts....I have a few questions in regards to the generator and cut out regulator. Can any damage be done to the generator and cut out relay if no polarizing is done prior to testing its output on the bike? what kind of oil goes in the oil hole, and how much?What kind of generator issues do I need to potentially brace myself for? Also I see there are two spots on the base of the cutout for wires to mount. I ran one to the generator post, and the other spot I ran a ground to the frame, and obviously the outer one on top to the ignition. However, no one has told me if I have to be selective or particular on either of the two locations on the base of the cut out. Also, does anyone have a checklist of steps or things to make sure to do or avoid, just prior to attempting to start a 40' scout after a fresh restoration? I want to try to cover any unforseen dangers prior to jumping in, thanks for the help.
    Dave
    AMCA#1388

Sounds like you already have a thor, lucky devil. Still I trust you will be very pleased their a great machine! Dont forget the oil and have fun on that machine - one of Indians best! The Indian 45's are a blast and very road routhy, hope you post some pics of haveing fun on it. Good luck!

Comment

Generator

Thanks Tom, I do look forward to the ride of the 45' .Maybe my generator concerns are over hyped? However, some people have stressed that the generators will fail quite often on these, and others have mentioned to have them polarized if they haven't run in many years, and since the generators are not cheap and cutouts run about $100 a piece, I'd like to test, run, and make the neccessary preparations not to burn or blow anything out on the genrator or cutout when I start it. So, If anyone could answer my generator questions above that would be great.

Comment

I have heard lots of tails of them failing too, mostly I was always warned about the chain to the generator. Mines not correct, otherwise I would try to advice how mine was hoked up. my cut out is for looks only. I put a VW voltage regulator on mine to keep from boiling my battery over when running freeway. I think their better than people think, just keep an eye on it and check things regular. I check my chain about every 100 miles. I have put 50,000 miles on my 45 and the generator as not been much of a problem at all. Thats saying alot, because I put it together:-) but so far so good. I have had to pull it off a couple times, just minnor little problems - but it's still working. Do you have the questions and anwsers book? it tells how to polorize I believe, I think you will not hurt anything, I always have. I oil mine with 2 and 1 oil, probably to often - maybe 2 drops or so a year. Though sometimes I put more than that by accident, eyes are not what they once were.
        You might give Johnny Eagles a call, he has rebuilt many of them. A couple for me too, something else, Johnny built Harry Suchers Sport Scout many years ago - generator too. Well, the way Johnny set up the generator. It ran for years and years with no problems at all - with the chain or anything else. If your not depending on it for dayly riding I bet it will hold up ok, mine sure has. Heres Johnny's number, I bet he will be glad to help ya. (714) 538 - 0416 good luck. P.S. A friend and I took a trip on our bikes a couple years ago, we did 1,500 miles in 5 days - not a big deal but, I was concerned about my generator holding up. We did more night riding than expected, anyways all went well - it did the job :-)

Comment

Thanks for the insight Tom, overall the progress is coming together pretty good here. Initially, I had issues with the ignition switch not having the correct current distribution, but I got it functional now. Wonder if anyone else has had trouble with those repro mico type switches? Also, does anyone advise putting a brass mesh or somthing to keep from stones/debris from entering into the generator holes?I don't want to cover the holes up because of the amount of heat that's created there, but curious if anyone puts anything to enclose it slightly better. Also curious if anyone has a good looking cheap alternative for a generator chain cover?just let me know, thanks.

Comment

Are you lacking a cover at all or do you want something different than original?
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I don't have a generator chain cover at all, so I'm looking for a cover, or a good idea for a substitute cover that people have tried. Anything cost effective will do.

Comment

I trudged through the snow today, out to the 'ol bike shed for a look around. I, for some reason thought I may have an extra cover. But alas, I could find no such thing. Have you tried Rocky Halter? He may have something like that kicking around.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Pretty sure I saw a chain cover on e bay right now too, try the indian section maybe check auctions that are ending. If not I am sure Starks and Kiwi and those guys have em. Not sure witch holes your talking about though. You dont mant gravel and sand or anything like that getting in there.

Comment

Gen chain guard cover e bay 400021096371 ends on the 9th, its cheap right now good luck.

Comment

Hey Tom, I'll keep an eye on the cover, thanks. Also, Are you able to torque your heads down on the 40' scout without removing the tanks or does one have to take them off to get at all of the bolts properly? I'm curious, just because everything seems such a tight fit on a sport scout.

Comment

Yes you can torque down the heads, if you have the right adapters for your tools. But its easier with em off, especially if you have nice paint on there. I strongly advise checking every thread and bolt, checking that the threads can take that torque - if you have not already. Its a real drag to be all ready and think your about done and start pulling threads :-( I have done it more than once, have had to repair all on my SS. One time had the machine all back together and ran it got it good and hot. Let her cool completely and went to retorque it, pulled the threads - it will wreck you day if your ready for a ride! Make sure none of the bolts bottom also, a good way to go is put the heads on with no gaskit and make sure those bolts have some room - not hitting bottom, probably old news to you but just a heads up from a guy whos done it and learned that lesson, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by 1914THOR View Post
                          I don't have a generator chain cover at all, so I'm looking for a cover, or a good idea for a substitute cover that people have tried. Anything cost effective will do.

Have you contacted Todd at Greer's Engineering? He has alot of stuff for sport scouts and has helped me out alot for parts for my 40' SS. Fantastic catalog too with lots of exploded pictures to help answer questions. Fast shipping and a great staff too.
                          20scout

Comment

final assembly

Yeah, I bought a few pieces through Jerry's Greers, and I find the components they have to be of high quality.

Comment

Popping out of gear!

So, I've driven the 40' scout a few times and I can only keep it in first gear with the shift lever being held in place, otherwise it pops out, so I just put it in second, only had it pop out of that once. Without the bike running, it shifts into all gears fine, and stays in gear when I disengage the clutch. Once it's running, it is forcing it back out of first when I put it in. So, I know the chief's have a detent spring that is on top of the transmission to adjust for this, so on a scout is there something to adjust to get it from popping out of gear? I've checked my shift rod and linkage and it seems to be fine, so I'm thinking it is internal, but I'm open to any thoughts, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X