Chart For Make & Model Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chart For Make & Model Tires

I thought it would be great, if one isn't already available, to create a chart, of all tires sizes, their types, and who supplied them, for all vintage motorcycles, as they came from the factories. Paps

Paps,
    I'm gonna tell ya one more time to quit smokin' that stuff.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Is it impossible to track down that data Chris ?

Comment

How many members have judged machines ? Each of those judged machines have tires on them, right ? Indian bikes...year and model of judged machine....tires size, original equipment manufactirer of tire as it was sold through the dealer..../ Harley Davidson, Henderson, Merkel, etc..... This is the type of chart I am suggesting.

Comment

While being judged, how many points are lost because of incorrect tire manufacturer?
          I thought the rules are pretty relaxed when it comes to tire brands.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

I wouldn't want to look for a Kokomo, Morgan & Wright, or a Blue Streak tire. When it comes to real antique motorcycles, we only have Coker. As for tire sizes, that is pretty well carved in stone. To my knowledge, none of the American motorcycle manufacturers made their own rims so tire sizes were a conspiracy between the rim makers and the tire makers. Motorcycle companies took what they were given.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I agree but the bikes were delivered with a specific brand and size. Coker is our resource for replacement but what were on them originally ? Paps

Comment

With over 300 makes of motorcycles having been made in the USA with different models from each brand that would be quite a task. Something about the size of an encyclopedia Britianica.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The chart could be added to as data came in. Members who have had their bikes judged, or Judges, who have the judging data, per machines judged, could begin posting their findings, in the new tire chart category. If in doubt, as to the tire being correct, the post could state it as a probability. If not in doubt, the post could state it as fact. We have a lengthy topic on the new library. This data should be part of that library. It can't be to difficult to start the data, at the 35 year mark and then work our way back, as the data comes in. Paps

Comment

I have a copy of a original 1934 sales order for harley. it lists a choice for tires as goodyear or firestone. it also lists a standard size of 19x4.00, a baloon tire 19x4.50 or small wheels 18x4.00. a cadmium rim was available for a dollar more. (for 74" twins)if enough sales orders are still around this info could be gathered

Comment

There is a great start ! Thanks !! Paps

Comment

I got this copy from harley about 25 years ago. im going to contact them next week and see if they have these from all years. that would be a great book to add to our collection. it would shed some light on when certain models were available for order. the original is not in the best of shape but it is readable

Comment

paps are you going to compile this? I will email or send a copy of it so you can verify it.

Comment

It would be my pleasure to compile it. This is data needed by the enthusiates in order to do a correct restoration. I plan on keeping two sets of wheels around for my restoration. One set for riding, the other for show. I don't know how to verify the data though. That is where the membership comes in to play. Many have data on their machines. Verifiable data. Paps

Comment

Well.....Let us start with these....

Harley Davidson model 1909 5-D Twin. 28 x 2.5 Front & Rear

Harley Davidson model 1921 WJ (Sport) 26 x 3 Front & Rear

Harley Davidson model 1927 Peashooter 28 x 2.25 front & Rear

Harley Davidson model 8-Valve 28 x 3 front & Rear

Harley Davidson model 1929 DL 25 x 3.85 front & Rear

Comment

Working...
                              X