Police bike questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police bike questions

My father and I are working on a 1941 EL police bike and are missing a few parts and have a few questions. We have a red headlight lens and would like to run dual headlights on the bike but we dont have the bracket. I belive I could make one if I had on to go by. We are also looking for the radio rack and boxes, I know these are rare parts but the bike obviously had radios on it origianlly since it has the 32 E2R generator and the relay box (guess that is what you would call it) still on the bike. If you have any info on the headlight bracket or any leads on the radio equipment that would be great.

Thanks, Matt

Also need the pedal for the siren.

Thanks

Comment

Matt:
      I've PM'ed you with a lead.

Lonnie
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McManus View Post
        My We have a red headlight lens and would like to run dual headlights on the bike but we dont have the bracket. I belive I could make one if I had on to go by.
        Matt,
        The first thing you need to know is that the RED LIGHT is NOT a standard Cycle Ray lamp. It is not marked Cycle Ray on the rear, only DELCO. Also there is a Tung Sol flasher mounted inside the lamp. The two mounting screws for this flasher are in countersunk holes barley visible on the right side of the lamp in this photo. You can see the bracket. It is a simple flat strap with two tabs welded to it and links between those tabs and the fork. Aslo the only two wheelers I have ever seen this on were CHP bikes. It was more commonly used on ServiCars.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

We have a NOS lens from a friend that he got in the early 80's from a dealership buy out. It is the same as the one in the pictures. We have no proof that this was a CHP bike and it is probably not since the tool box mount is not on the left side but we got the bike in California and like the way the dual headlights look. So if we can find all of the parts we would like to run them on the bike.

Chris you dont have any spare police radio equipment laying around do you?

Another problem we have encountered is that the siren shaft doesn't fit in the in the hole in the fender. I have an origianal Sterling type 38R siren with the tear drop shaped cover with Harley Davidson across the face. I was wondering if there may have been another bracket that placed the siren higher up.

Comment

Matt, I think I remember reading someplace that the CHP specified a different type of siren than the Sterling. That may be why the Sterling won't fit your fender. Chris will have the real scoop though. I'm sure he'll chime in soon. Good luck with your project. John Lindemann

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McManus View Post
              We have a NOS lens from a friend that he got in the early 80's from a dealership buy out. It is the same as the one in the pictures. We have no proof that this was a CHP bike and it is probably not since the tool box mount is not on the left side but we got the bike in California and like the way the dual headlights look. So if we can find all of the parts we would like to run them on the bike.

Chris you dont have any spare police radio equipment laying around do you?

Another problem we have encountered is that the siren shaft doesn't fit in the in the hole in the fender. I have an origianal Sterling type 38R siren with the tear drop shaped cover with Harley Davidson across the face. I was wondering if there may have been another bracket that placed the siren higher up.
              Are you ignoring the fact that the Red Driving Lamp body was different? Any judge worth his salt will see that.
              There were many sirens available. Harley simply chose to sell the Sterling. Many Calif agencys used B&M Sirens. CHP used a siren that mounted on the right side of the motorcycle. These were made by Hedburg.
              http://www.siro-driftsirens.com/fric...ivesirens.html
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

first of all this bike will never be judged, I only painted the sheet metal and left everything else old and crusty. If it is not all correct when I get it running that will be ok. I know that it is extremely close and the few parts that are wrong will be things to look for while I am riding. Well now I guess I need a headlight that says Delco on the back also. I have a set of spotlights that I could run I would just like to have two headlights.

Comment

Matt,
                  I can't really help you out withthe dual headlight bracket info. I do have some pics that might help you out with your siren dilemna though. The pics are of a 1945 Fl I did when I was eighteen, hard to believe that it has already been five years ago. None the less, there are a lot of good pics on the website, and they should help you out with your siren issues.
                  best regards,
                  Matt Olsen
                  http://bigjoe.smugmug.com/gallery/32...13359260_GPK5x
                  A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Matt, contact me about your police EL. I restored a '44 police UL in the '70s that I still own and did lots of research at that time and since. Might have a couple of pieces around as well however no dual headlight set-up.
                    Robbie
                    tls@newmex.com
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

"It is not marked Cycle Ray on the rear, only DELCO." Chris Haynes

look at this light on ebay item number 140302840542 it must not be an original since it says cycle ray guide on the back.haha

This looks like the one I need.

Comment

Maybe the lamp in 140302840542 says Cycleray and then maybe it don't. None of the photos show the lamp's text. While I have not seen but a dozen of these Drive Lamps and have one for my 44, I have never seen a Cycleray set up as a Drive Lamp. It was Guide's way of business to have Cycleray marked bodies built with Cycleray marked Lenses.

If this lamp body really is marked Cycleray, did Guide do this or was it modified in the field by a PD or someone who wanted a trick headlamp. The flasher appears correct and the screw holes appear to be in the correct location.
                        Bruce Palmer III
                        AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

If you read the questions at the bottom the seller states that it does say cycle ray guide on the back of the headlight. the red lenses do not say cycle ray on them.

Comment

Working...
                          X