Sportster CH Condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster CH Condenser

I have a 1964 XLCH and when I bought it in 1968 it had a large capacitor that store energyand smoothed out the charging output which helped eliminate the surges in the light and horn circuits.

Well, in 1968 I chopped the bike, only to now be sending many dollars to properly restore it. The condenser is long gone and I need to replace it. However, I don't rememeber where it was mounted on the bike (behind the horn??) or where to find a correct replacement. Also, does anyone know the capacitor rating in microfarads in case I have to search the electronics suppliers for a replacement? Good luck to me in finding an old WWII style capacitor in the era of solid state electronics!!

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill, I didn't think the capacitor you mention was part of the original factory wiring. I believe the CH models were mainly still for competition at that point and the lights were simply to make it so you could register and title the machine. Pure race machines were usually not titled ( at least here in PA, untill sometime in the 80"s) and this posed a lot of problems from insurance to proving ownwership if it were to come into question. By adding minimum lighting the factory got you around this debacle and made it so you could raise some hell down at the local watering hole.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

[QUOTE=bmh;72868]Bill, I didn't think the capacitor you mention was part of the original factory wiring. QUOTE]

Brian,
      It is best not to "THINK" about something you know nothing about.
      Bill,
      The capicitor was definately part of the original electrical system.
      I can't tell you the correct location. The condensor on my '65 XLCH is located on the left side of the frame, just under the seat and above the voltage regulator. I have also seen them mounted on the lower, front oil tank mounting bolts. I can't be sure which is correct.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the response - I can usually count on you in this forum for an accurate memory.

Now that you mention it, the lower surface of the left side frame web seems to ring a bell - I think there was a tapped hole there - I have to check my old frames. Now if only I could find the capacitance value and possibly a source. Anyone out there who could help ??

Bill
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

ACCEL makes a battery eliminator capacitor
          Jeff Bowles
          Arkansas
          Membership # 14023
          1957 Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
            Chris,

Thanks for the response - I can usually count on you in this forum for an accurate memory.

Now that you mention it, the lower surface of the left side frame web seems to ring a bell - I think there was a tapped hole there - I have to check my old frames. Now if only I could find the capacitance value and possibly a source. Anyone out there who could help ??

Bill
            Talk to Curt at Sportie Specialties in Fullerton, CA
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, I was going on the word of a local shop that has restored a few dozen sportsters over the past two decades. Sorry, next time I'll keep my mouth shut.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Would alsao like to point out that your 65 is a 12V and the 64 would be a 6V. In speaking with my friend again he refered me to shop dope # 347, Sept-54 as the only wiring he was aware of for 6V sportsters and Ks without a battery. Just wanted to put that out there for whatever it's worth. I'll have nothing else to put forth on this topic.
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The cap was there to brighten the headlights at idol and to give to extra boost to blow the horn. My horn on my 65 12volt XLCH will not work without it. The answer is yes you need it. I think Ted has a repop. I tried playing with one of these on my 60 pan without much success after almost getting run over at a dark intersection stop sign. I run a full oil tank with no battery hole and a mag. Jeff the Accel battery eliminator is not the same thing. Its purpose in life was to excite the alternator on 70 and up Shovels if you weren’t running a battery. If you don’t excite the fields on an alternator it will not make juice. It’s something like that. Bob
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Brian....iffin there was one thing I learned...iffin ya got somethin to say....say it. I ain't and don't...keep my trap shut. Whether I am wrong...whether I am right. I don't. Iffin I am right...thumbs up. Iffin I am wrong ? I learned. Paps

Comment

Bob,

I searched Ted's catalogue - unfortuntately no Capacitor for the Mag Sportster. Thanks anyway though!

I think I'll try Chris' suggestion and contact Sportie Specialties in Ca. next week.

Bill
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

The part number was 32727-63. My understanding is that the cap helped the horn and lights be more steady.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Google the part number. There as several references/links to it. ...bill in oregon
                          Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Accel makes a capacitor for this purpose. I bought one for my son's 66CH, but the new Cycle Electric gen and Bosch regulator work well with bright light even at low rpm and no bulb problems after 3,000 miles.
                            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Kyle,

I looked at the Accel catlogue and only found a battery-eliminator capacitor. Is that the one you're using in your son's '66?
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X