1917 Harley rear brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Harley rear brake

I was just lucky enough to buy a 1917 HD model F. It has the double acting rear brake. I have been told the band brake used a brake pedal on the heal of the footboard. I have also been told the export models had a hand lever. Can anyone help me with this. Does anyone have a picture of the hand lever. I would like to add a handlever versus the heal pedal to my bike.

I belive the heel brake option came 1922 for the Pocketvalves. Here is an original handle which is on a WF. It is similar to the handle on my 20J.
    Attached Files
    AMCA #2124

Comment

Fiskis
      Thanks for the help. Do you have any photos of the cable and how it attaches to the handlebars, frame, and then to the rear brake. I would like to be as accurate as I can.
      RD

Comment

Yes, more pictures please if you have some. I have a 1920 W Sport Model and have been looking for one of those brakes for some time. I'm tired of dragging my feet to stop!
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hand Brake

Yes PLEASE! More pics and measurments??? I've been wanting to reproduce that brake lever assembly for several years now but have been unable to find one. Are you in the USA? Any chance that you may be able to bring either that bike or just the handle to an AMCA swap meet this next year? If I had it in my hands for one hour, I could draw it and then set up to make them.
          Thanks
          Mark Masa
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

more hand brake

Fiskis
            Can you post a pic of the one on your 1920? How different is it?
            Thanks
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Here is one on a 1916.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Seem I do not have any detail photo ready and I have stowed away the bike for the winter. Hope you can make something out of the pictures of the whole bike.

MMasa! The handle on the WF is the same as on my 1920J. All I have seen on various 1915-27 Harleys are identical including 1926-27 Singles. It is of a very simple design. A good picture is in the 1918-21 Parts Book.

Louie! A good pair of feet is more effective than these brakes!
                Attached Files
                AMCA #2124

Comment

MMasa! Yes I will certainly attend an AMCA meet with the bike, unfortunately for you it will be the European meet in Germany. Or maybe it is a good opportunity for you folks over there to come to Europe as the dollar changed more to your favour lately.

Seems that there are other 20J owners out there. Anybody spots some incorrectness I could correct before judging?

Greetings from Finland expecting snow tomorrow.
                  AMCA #2124

Comment

Fiskis.

That meet, that your referring to.

In Dinklesbuhl, correct?

My wife and I will attend that, it's just a short trip from where I live.

Hope to meet you. And see others from the AMCA there.

I am sure that Harry Hacker, Paul Jung, Pete Reeves, Steve Slocoumbe, Eric Matteau, and others from the area will be attending.

George Greer
                    Last edited by George Greer; 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
                    George Greer
                    AMCA # 3370

Comment

1917 Harley rear brake

I purchased a reproduction brake lever at Davenport several years ago for my 1920 model W. It was very well made. It was made by Kevin Hellowell in the UK who is an AMCA member. The vender selling these and other early Harley repro parts was from New Jersey. Tom wilcock AMCA # 381

Comment

OK, on the rear brake for the 1917. What kind of cable is used and what size and does anyone know where I can get one? Did the throttle and advance cables have leather on them in 1917?

Comment

Rear brake for 1917 HD

Some pictures of one Rear brake for 1917 HD
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.harley-memories.com
                          http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
                          AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Originally posted by George Greer View Post
                            Fiskis.

That meet, that your referring to.

In Dinklesbuhl, correct?

My wife and I will attend that, it's just a short trip from where I live.

Hope to meet you. And see others from the AMCA there.

I am sure that Harry Hacker, Paul Jung, Pete Reeves, Steve Slocoumbe, Eric Matteau, and others from the area will be attending.

George Greer

Hi,
                            Yes that's the one. I'm sure these guys will attend the European Meet as usual, together with many other "regulars". The Harleysons crew did a wonderful job at the previous meets, so it is definitely worth (re)visiting. Can't wait for the summer, got 10 iches of snow in a heavy storm yesterday. And just when somebody forecasted no snow in Southern Finland this winter!
                            Fiskis
                            AMCA #2124

Comment

Fiskis
                              the photo you sent was on a HD sport horizontal twin? Bill Morris just got one in pieces from Belgium and was wondering if you can get more photos or know anyone who has one he can talk to.

Comment

Working...
                              X