linkert floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linkert floats

I was going over what I need for the M61 carb on my 51 EL and in going through the parts book I see there are two floats listed for this carb. 27380-33 for late 33-54 all twins, the M61 carb is listed in this fitment. then there is 27380-50 for 50-52 61" OHV &45" twins- carbs M54, M61. It appears there are two different float levers also which match the two floats.I know they made a few different versions of the M61 carb, the early ones used body # 2-398 the later ones used body # 2-408 and I believe the M61B used body # 2-418. Mine is the M61 with Body 2-408. So which float do I need? What is the difference between the two? Can the one be made to work in place of the other? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Really, REALLY good question!

(When we find out what the mystery float looked like, I can make them.)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There was a cork float in decent shape inside the carb when I opened it. Don't know how long ago it was last run. Any ideas on how to tell if it is the mystery float or not? since the book lists a different lever would that be a clue? I don't have any other original floats to compare it to and I wouldn't want to use an after market one to look at for any differences. I imagine that the correct float would provide a slightly different fuel level in the bowl as that is the only reason I can come up with for a different one to be used. Anything I can measure?
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian!

Please post pics if you can...

I have wondered about the Parts Book listings for a long time, but no examples have ever come across my benches.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Here are some pics of the float from that carb, I'll be very surprised if it is the missing link as my luck doesn't run that good. But I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and again. these 3 are before I removed the float from the bowl
          Attached Files
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

And these are of the float itself. If you notice the lever was removed and rattatched for these pics. So assuming this isn't the find of the year, have you had any problems running the standard float in M-61 carbs? or M-54 carbs for that matter? either way I need a float as well as some other stuff.
            Attached Files
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Wow ! that looks standard to me. So does the lever. What am I missing ? Paps

Comment

The mystery float and lever remain a mystery.

It is most probable that most all of them have been replaced over the decades.
                Fortunately, it does not seem to have been a performance issue.

But still, any insights that might be gleaned from them are important to posterity.
                It is important to me personally to try to get into the heads of the engineers of the time.

(But I would still cut some, even if nobody wanted to buy any!
                Anybody need a Schebler G model float?
                How 'bout an upside-down Marvel?

Nevermind.)

...Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I already figured this one to be the standard type as I said I'm not that lucky. I was looking up the numbers for the parts I need to replace when I saw the float listing and had to ask. As long as it works OK I really don't care what the float looks like but I will be keeping my eyes open for any strange floats from now on. It is very curious that only these two carbs would be listed for this float and lever. In looking through the book a little closer I don't see a main nozzle listed for the M-54, did it perhaps use the same nozzle as the M-61? Oh well I guess we have to leave some mysteries for the next generation.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                  X