Belt Lagging for 12 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Lagging for 12 HD

Getting set to put lagging on my front and rear pulleys. Was the lagging held on with flat head brass screws? That is how the one I took off was attached. Would it be a good idea to soak the lagging in water before attaching? The idea is that it might shrink when dry and
    pull down tight.....or would it just pull the seam apart?
    Any input appreciated....Rod

Yes, flathead screws were used. I have always put the lagging on dry without a problem. Interesting thought putting it on wet, though.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to get the lagging screwed down tight,dry and then wet it and see what happens.........
      rod

Comment

How did you make out with the belt lagging Rod? I just read in a 1911 Motorcycling magazine, that guys were wetting their belts back then.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Belt Lagging

Hi Cory.......I got the belt lagging on ok. I turned the heads of the brass screws down on the lathe. The standard head size looked too big. I put the leather on dry, but wetted the spots where the screws mounted, so they would counter sink in easier. after every thing was mounted, then I wetted the entire rim. I can't say that after wetting , it tightened up any, but it did'nt hurt....probably won't have the bike on the road for another year...Rod

Comment

Here's one of the quotes I found. If nothing else they may be of interest...........

"For lagging the pulley on my flat-belt machine, I have tried sole leather, common leather, canvas belting and Raybestos brake lining, and have found sole leather best when put on properly. Always soak the leather well and put it on wet; when it dries it certainly is tight."

Another one says "I have fitted a sight-feed oil cup on my machine in such a way that it feeds belt dressing onto the flat-belt pulley. I find it keeps the belt in excellent condition and causes the belt to hug the pulley, even when quite loose."

I'm trying to recall, are you still gathering pieces for your '12 or are you just working through the restoration process? I'm sure most of us can relate to the time factor.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I've found almost everything I need. Eng,frame handle bars,seat, hubs and clutch are orig.
              The rest is repro or things that I made. Now the chalenge is to make all this stuff fit and work together....This project started about 25 years ago, with the purchase of the engine.
              Rod

Comment

Hello , I have a 1912 belt drive Excelsior single 4B , have used the 'back side' of leather (suede effect) on the pulleys , and use a leather belt I fashioned from an old stationary engine , it's lasted for a few hundred miles but does stretch about 1-1/2 inches after a run , nearly shrinks back to the original length over about a week but over time is slowly getting longer ! It's interesting c.o. about the belt dressing drip feed , do you know what is the best belt dressing to use for belt drives , best wishes with your rebuild Rod K , you'll enjoy the ride when completed . Many thanks and may all your miles in 2009 be big smile ones ! , Ken
                Ken

Comment

Hey there Ken,

I'm not sure what the best dressings are.......maybe Earl,Exeric or Jurassic might know. I'm still laying in the shadows waiting to pounce on an early machine to play around on! I still think that Excelsior of yours is pretty darn cool. It's also nice to hear it gets ridden. You've posted the pics to prove it! Great stuff!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1910-...item415413bbc1
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

castor oil , interesting , I am using some leather dressing called Flexalan , a lanolised leather dressing , also Glycerine soap in a spray bottle , the leather belts are giving good service but may as well invest in a bottle of castor oil and give it a try , if it doesn't work it can always go in the medicine cupboard !!!! How is your project getting on Rod K ???
                      happy riding , Ken
                      Ken

Comment

Ken, when I saw it I thought I'd find this thread and post it. Pretty interesting indeed. I too am interested in how Rod K's project is coming along.... maybe he'll chime in. Did you get a chance to put many miles on that wonderful Excelsior of yours this year??
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Belt Lagging

Oh dear , not too many this year I'm afraid !!!! only about 250 miles but about 800 on my 1916 Excelsior and I do have 12 bikes to keep on the road riding , some suffer few miles a year but try and make up for it another year , trouble is there aren't enough hours in the day !!! but they were smile miles so that's what counts !!! I see in an earlier thread Cory that you refer to an article in a 1911 magazine about wetting their belts , any chance of reproducing it on here ?????
                          Rod K , please keep us up to date on how you are getting on , many thanks everyone for your input , great forum !
                          Ken just a reminder , here's a pic of my Excelsior 4B - with it's hand warmers on

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6fq-xZ_IQSA/Sq...260606%2Cc.jpg
                          Ken

Comment

Lagging

I am new to this antique bike stuff but purcahsed a 1910 Harley in peices and built with internet forum help. One of the problems I found with the belt drive system is that there is slipage going up steep grades and when in nurtal, causin friction heat, smoke, and damage to the leather. I have a Ford model T and replaced the transmition and brake bands with Kevlar, which work great, so I had an idea. I purchased a 2" wide Kevlar brake band, cut to size, and mounted it on the engin pulley, where it can't be seen unless you look very close, and it works great. I can stand at idle forever with no friction or burning and it grips great. The correct belt tension is of course always important at iddle, as it has to be loose enough. Did some research and found in the day owners could buy after market lagging made from resin soaked espestos (sp?) which of course can no longer be found as it has been banned for it's health issues. Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by wyatt emp; 11-06-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Ken!!! That Excelsior is awesome! I like the "new" '16 as well. Great stuff!!!

It wasn't really articles that I was referring to but letters written in from riders. This info comes from the Nov,2 1911 issue of Motorcycling.

This one is just for grins....

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X