Bad Coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Coil?

I took off for a vintage ride today on my 47 EL. Headed up the road at a good clip(60+) and after about 15 minutes it started coughing an running on single cylinder or it seemed that power had cut in half and I limped to a complete stop at the exit ramp. Called the kids to come rescue me and after the bike had cooled down I attempted to kick it over fearing that it may have broken a ring or something. Kicked over no problem, so I cranked it up and it ran fine. Got the old gurl home and ran her around the block without a problem. Upshot of this post is, is the coil getting hot at extended running time and shorting out, or could it be something else? Anyone know of a roadside coil testing device that can be used while the thing is hot without disassembly and alternatively a source of proper 6v square 2 wire coils that aren't just junk? I would hate to have to get rid of Preshus cause she's so contrary!

use the same test procedures when the coil is hot that you use when cold and note any differences. test it , ride it around the neihborhood untill hot and test again. I think I'd test my intake for leaks also. condensers sometimes exhibit thermal conditions alsoso you could try replacing that if the above tests are passed.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Had the same thing happen with my 47 Fl I replaced coil,wires, and plugs. Turned out the rear exhaust push rod had shortened up on me.

Comment

Yep, they'll do real strange things if they aren't breathing right.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
        X