Sportster/K Clutch Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster/K Clutch Hub

I was piecing together the clutch assembly for my '64 CH and noted that my clutch hub is incorrect. I'm just not sure what it's for. It measures 1.455" front-to-back (outside face measurement)and is too narrow in depth to accept all 7 friction plates, steel plates and the backing plate.

I went through my inventory and only found a couple of XLH dry hubs (large seal) and a '71 wet hub. However, I did compare the shallow hub to an XLH dry clutch hub and found the that '70 hub measured 1.800" ( a difference of 0.345") and does properly accept all plates, the backing plate, and leaves the correct spline purchase for the pressure plate.

I know that that the '57 - '69 CH clutch hubs are all the same. I also know that the '67 - '70 XLH hubs, while differing in the seal area, should have the same spline depth as the CH hub, as all hubs from '57 through '70 take the same number of plates and all plates are of the same thickness. Therefore, the '70 dry hub measurement of 1.800" is probably correct for the CH hub/single bearing clutch drum-with-seal assembly.

Given the above littany, could this shallow clutch hub be from a K or KH/KHK ?? I know very little of these machines.

Does anyone have an XLCH dry clutch hub that they would like to sell??

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    The early K clutches ('52-'53) were only 5 plates. They then changed to 7 for the rest of the run and the Sportster series. Sounds like you have an early drum. The later one is fairly common so you shouldn't have trouble finding one. I don't have one so can't help.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'll be back in the shop Monday and will try to dig one up for you.

Dan
      Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
      Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Rub - thanks for the information. That makes perfect sense. Now I have a Model K clutch hub to sell or trade a at Rhineback.

Dan - I would love to get this motor off of my bench and get back to my '47 FL motor. I REALLY don't want to use a Ted's part. So if you find one, please let me know.

Bill Pedalino
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Give Kirk a call at Sporty Specialties at 800-701-2925
          Jeff Bowles
          Arkansas
          Membership # 14023
          1957 Sportster

Comment

xlch dry clutch hub

if you havent found one yet let me know. my father and grandfather had a independent shop since 1942 i have drawers full of antique stuff stored in the second floor of my shop. i have not been selling anything but this is the worst economy i ever faced. is that all u need.???? Phil oniytruth@aol.com

Comment

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. the only other thing that I need for that bike is an XLCH horn - again, its a 1964. The horn is round, 6-volts, bolts to the top motor mount and has several holes in a circular pattern on the left side.

Yes, the economy is bad - but try not to sell off too much stuff. I hate selling under duress!!

Thanks,
              Bill Pedalino
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Dan,

Any luck digging out a used clutch hub for me??

Bill Pedalino
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

I know it's here, I just gotta put my paws on it.
                  Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Bill, I found one just before I left the shop this evening. I will look it over closely in the morning and let you know if it's up to snuff.

Dan
                    Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Well, it's not that good Bill. The gland area that runs in the drum seal is really rusty and I doubt if you could keep it from leaking. Otherwise a good part.
                      Dan
                      Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Thanks so much for looking Dan - As we all know, it's hard enough to keep even the best clutch setup dry, so a bad seal surface would definately be a problem.....

I will reach out to others for an OEM hub.

Bill Pedalino
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

I'll keep looking. I know there are more around here. Is there such a thing as "organized clutter"???
                          Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Dan,

Any luck looking through your 'organized clutter'?

In all the years I've been doing this, I continue to fail at a system that organizes my (clutter) collection.

Bill
                            Bill Pedalino
                            Huntington, New York
                            AMCA 6755

Comment

Still going through the "archives".
                              Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Working...
                              X