Looking for a rear wheel pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a rear wheel pulley

I'm building a replica 1910-ish motorbike and I'm looking for a rear wheel pulley for a 26 inch rim. Darn if I can find any sources. It can be in rough condition (it's a replica just to have some fun with). Doesn't have to be original either. Can anyone point me to a vendor or know where I can get one?

Thanks
    John

Are you looking for a flat belt or V-belt? It doesn't matter because originals are near impossible to find. A friend of mine fabricated a flat belt pulley for a '10 Excelsior and it came out quite nice. He made a form out of pressed wood so he could lay up and glue the steamed wood laminations. He made the brackets that join the pulley to the rim and rived and screwed the whole assembly together. As I recall, he put a slight crown in the pulley so the belt would stay centered. It was a lot of work but there weren't many alternatives for him. I have a 1911 Merkel that takes the V-belt. I'm fortunate to have the rear pulley (sheave) but I still have to make a cogged V-belt. Also, V-belt clutches are super rare so the flat belt is a better way to go.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,
      Thanks for the tips. I'm looking for a v-belt pulley. Nothing original, repro is good. Are there repro sources out there?

John

AMCA 12578

Comment

Tom does sheaves for Shaws which sounds like close to what you are looking for. (for 28 inch wheels but should work with a 26)

Babbage, Tom
        tbabbage@ccwebster.net, (503)631 2070 (h)

Good luck.
        John Hasty
        John_H

Comment

Working...
        X