Early Motorcycle Serial Numbering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Motorcycle Serial Numbering

Help! I'm compiling serial numbers and other data into a database for Miami power Bicycles. My question to all you historians is where did most companies start their serial numbers? I have Miami's listed so far from 593 to 2239. Do you think they would have started at 500? I know that the first four numbers (593-1600) I have are probably 1915 models by the fact that they are battery models; the magneto models didn't appear until 1916 according to my literature. I also have one motor (2239) that is chain drive, a model that came with a two speed tranny and running boards that no know complete example exist.
    Any experts on Flying Merkels that know their serial number methods? Thanks for any help.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
    Help! I'm compiling serial numbers and other data into a database for Miami power Bicycles. My question to all you historians is where did most companies start their serial numbers? I have Miami's listed so far from 593 to 2239. Do you think they would have started at 500? I know that the first four numbers (593-1600) I have are probably 1915 models by the fact that they are battery models; the magneto models didn't appear until 1916 according to my literature. I also have one motor (2239) that is chain drive, a model that came with a two speed tranny and running boards that no know complete example exist.
    Any experts on Flying Merkels that know their serial number methods? Thanks for any help.
    I would say that as a general rule involving early motorcycle mfgs. it would seem quite likely that Miami might have begun their serial number sequence at 500. Mfgs. liked to boost their image of being larger producers than they actually were and that's how they did it.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
    X