48 Pans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Pans?

I’m going to be assembling my 48 engine soon and I’ve got to make a decision. I have a set of steel pans and a set of mint stainless pans. As far as I know the SS wasn’t used until 49 (Please correct me if I’m wrong). Is it something I’ll get knocked down for in judging if I use them? Thanks, Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

1948 used chromed steel pans. If I was judging your bike I wouldn't knock it down because I know how hard it is to find the S.S. Pans. But I'm not a judge and you know how tough they are on H-D's, especially knucks and pans.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Robert
      if s.s. pans did not come out until 1949 and you use them on a 1948 that will causes you to lose points
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

It also would depend on your motor number. It is known the new model announced parts often appeared on late machines made the previous year. It would be judges discretion.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

One of my friends owns an original paint 48 with less than 10,000 miles on it that has stainless pans on it. The bike came from a town that is only 90 miles from here, I was friends with the second owner. It is a late one, I think it was 11k or 12 k in the serial number range.
          A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

48 panhead rocker covers

I once had an original paint Azure Blue 1948 EL with a high 13,000 serial number. It had silver painted cylinders with stainless rocker covers, stainless air cleaner cover, riveted rear taillight and cross-over oil lines all considered 49 parts but all present on a low milage original paint panhead that I got from the original owner. It was also sold new with western buckle bags. Stainless covers are acceptable in my opinion but its got to be at least a 5 digit serial number.

Steve Barber
            www.The74Shop.com

Comment

now, for those of you that want to know who decides what is right on a patcular bike. the judges that work so hard have learned all this thru extensive research on their part
              and the 2 judges that have seen late 48 bikes in original condition were not even born when these bikes were new! as a matter of fact they were not born when these bikes were 35 years old. thanks Steve and Matt!!!
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Well guys I think I’m gonna go with Chris’s idea. According to the Harley data book (Mind you a great resource). Harley produced 8081 fl motorcycles in 1948. My vin is 48fl759?. I think that’s close enough to 1949 production year to pull it off. Bob
                AMCA #3149

Comment

Um... not to burst your bubble but total production of OHV's for 1948 was something like 12,924 units. meaning serial numbers would run out to 48FL13924 or so. Could also be an EL, I think thats the part you missed, not all 48 pans were FL's. Your number should put you right about mid-season, not at the end.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

So what your saying Brian is the vin numbers were continuous no mater what the model? Bob
                    AMCA #3149

Comment

The serial numbers ran consecutive through engine type - in the case of Harley big twins E, EL, F, FL - in other words for all pans in your case. (I'm referencing the numbers as they appear in the VIN, not getting into the Solo/Sidecar production #'s as referenced in "The Legend Begins".)
                      Lonnie Campbell #9908
                      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Steve, what are cross-over oil lines? I'm doing a '48 at present and like everyone else, I want it to be correct.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

The return and vent lines "cross over" each other at the oil tank. Generally considered a 49 and later feature.
                          VPH-D

Comment

The oil lines were changed to accomadate the optional oil filter. Here are some pics of both as used without the filter. On the left is a 49 and the right is a mid year 48.
                            Attached Files
                            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Brian and VPH-D, that answers a question I never thought of asking until yesterday. So how many years would the cross-over oil line routing be applicable to?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X